Secrets

We get out of the elevator, but still, I don't want to talk to Miguel, he already knows too much and I panicked. Miguel cannot know about us, he's human and I don't know what he's capable to do... He might be a Van Helsing 2.0... He leans on the door, not letting us get out and says:
   - Well, no one will get out until you tell me about your true nature...
   - You know that I can teleport, right? - I smirk.
   - Shock..! - he mumbles, looking away a bit and then look back to me - what do I have to do in order you to tell me the truth?
   - Well... - I start - I can't tell you because it's way to dangerous, trust me.
   - Why..? - he asks, rising an eyebrow.
   - It's... complicated... - I say, I can feel the air getting thicker and colder, my heartbeating fast and my sking freezing without ice - you wouldn't understand...
   - You really don't want to tell me about you - he crosses his arms - why? Did you commit a crime or something? Are you part of any secret society?
   - Why should I tell you in the first place? - I ask trying to keep my chill posture.
   - Because... - he looks dead in my eyes and quickly pins me on the ground on my stomach, it was so fast and I can't move anymore. The book against my chest hurts. He got me... - you have to, or else, no one will get out...
   - You're really fast, aren't ya'? - I mumble, trying to keep my head in place and don't lose control - no wonder why you haven't got a ring on your finger - I chuckle and he pins me harder, I try to break myself free kicking his legs, but he only pins harder. Shit! - where did you learn this?
   - Don't try to change the subject, Selene - he says. This is giving me triggers - what are you?
   - I'm not human... - I respond, I can feel the anxiety getting bigger - at least 100 percent, only half human...
   - And the other half..? - he mumbles. I stay in silence a bit before I respond.
   - V-vampire... - I shuttle. I fucked up everything.... I always do...
   - What..? - his eyes wide and I can fell he taking a bit of the weight off my body - you must be joking, right? That vampire thing doesn't even exist! It's just a folktale to explain the decomposition of corpses..!
   - I'm not joking... - I mumble, my eyes wide a bit. That reaction was unexpected, I thought he would kill me - that part of the decomposition is kinda true, but not in this context... If you don't wanna believe me, that's fine, but I'm putting an entire community and myself in risk by telling you, a human, this...
   - Does that " community " includes Dante and Nabeshima? - he asks.
   - Yep - I mumble.
   - So you're telling me that not only vampires are real, but you're also one and there's an entire community here in Nueva York? - he raises an eyebrow.
   - Yes - I say.
   - How can I guarantee that you're telling the truth? - he looks into my eyes.
   - I almost panicked when you asked me that before and you had to pin me on the ground in order to I tell the truth, so... - I look back at him.
   - Fair... - he stops putting his weight over me, letting me go, I grab the book and we both get up, it's reliefing - are there any consequences of you telling me this?
   - The thing isn't " they will come and kill you, your friends and family " - I respond - the real issue is if you tell someone... We have suffered a lot of hunting throughout history, and telling you, a human, about this might open a breach for some crazy person genocide us like they did before...
   - Let's make a deal: We both tell each other the important things we should know about each other and don't tell anyone..! - he offers - what about it..?
  - It's fair... - I replie - but if you tell anyone about the vampire community, I'll bust your knee caps.
  - Same if you tell anyone about the Spider-Man thing - he says and extends his hand - deal?
   - Deal - I shake his hand. His hands are so soft and warm...
   - Now I'm much more curious about that vampire thing... - he starts, VERY curious - do you burn in the sun? Do you guys turn other people into vampires when you drink their blood? Is the garlic thing real?
   - Calm down - I say - let's get out of here and I'll explain it to you.
   - Ok - he says as he opens the door, we both get out of the apartment and walk downstairs - go on...
   - It's pretty much complex - I start - but the basic is: There are two types of vampires: The Living-Dead/Magical Vampires and The Children of The Night Vampires. The Living-Dead ones are the more stereotypical ones, drinking only human blood, turning people into vampires by only bitting them, super human habilites and all that shit. The Children of The Night (myself, Nabeshima and Dante included), are less mystical and more closer to humans in... Most ways actually.
   - You said you were half human... - he mumbles.
   - Yeah, my father was human and my mother a vampire - I respond - this gives me some advantages like I can stay under the sun for seven hours without burning and feed on both ordinary food and blood, but still I have the same habilites as an ordinary vampire.
   - You won't drink my blood, right? - he asks.
   - Of course not - I replie - that's where the Living-Dead and the Children of the Night divert, most of my species' members don't drink human blood in their daily basis, only in holidays or with the consent of the human we're drinking. While the others drink it for nutrition and reproduction.
   - So you usually drink animal blood? - he questions, I nod in response - makes sense... Are you imortal? Is there any way for you to die?
   - My species can live forever, but we can also die because of diseases or accidents - I explain - but the magical ones are much harder to kill, they're in an almost god-like level...
   - I see... - he puts a hand on his chin - so you are like a buffed human, or nerfed magical vampire..!
   - If you wanna call that... - I roll my eyes annoyed.
   - I thought a 300 year old would have more sense of humor - he mumbles with a smirk. I know I'm not 300 years old, but if it helps hide the fact I'm not from this world, it's worth it.
   - You should really respect the elders, manchild - I mumble sarcastically.
   - But you don't look like a 300 year old! - he objects.
   - What did you expect me to look like? A skeleton? - I respond.
   - I mean, you're not wrong - he agrees - but we look like younger then me!
   - How old are you..? - I ask.
   - 29 - he replies. Is he 29?!
   - You look like late 30's! - I gasp - I look like 25 or something, it's true, but you're 29 and don't look alike!
   - Blame the stress - he runs his hand though his hair frustrated. His hair seems so soft... - do you wanna a ride home..?
   - Oh, sure..! - I accept. We get to the door and walk out the apartment complex.
   As we open the front door, we see Gabriel lying on the street crying and Xina by his side trying to carry him.
   - Ninguém loves me, I'll morrer alone! - he shouts, he smells like alcohol and he looks definitely drunk - Even Kasey left me! I'll never be amado!
   - Oh Geez, Gabbe... - Xina mumbles, she looks at us and her aura changes quickly, her eyes and head get lower and she tries to avoid looking at Miguel.
   - Gabri! - Miguel shouts and run towards Gabriel, kneeling on his side and holding his head, I come closer to them - what happened..?
   - He dunk too much after Kasey broke up with him, again... - Kwan responds roughly.
   - Oh... - I mumble. Now that I noticed they both are wearing fancy clothes - Were you at a party..?
   - A club to be more specific - she responds more comfortable with me. Do Kwan and Miguel know each other? What happened between them?
   Miguel picks up Gabbe on his arms, opens the car and put the drunk guy on the front passenger seat as Miguel sits next to him on the driver seat.
   - Xina - I whisper to her - If you're ok to answer, where did you and Miguel know each other?
   - It's like... - she turns around and I do the same - Miguel and I grown up together, we went to the same school and always been friends. We ended up dating and... - she is getting a bit melancholic yet angry - he cheated on me with Gabbe's girlfriend at the time, Dana...
   - Oh... - I mumble in surprise - are Gabbe and Miguel related in some level..?
   - They're siblings... - she responds whispering. Oh shit, this is getting worse. My jaw drops. No way this isn't a script!
   - So Miguel cheated on you with his brother's girlfriend?! - I mumble and she nods, this look like something I would see in a drama movie - Damn...
   - And things are much more worse now that I'm living with Gabbe - she explains with a low voice - because my old house had some serious problems in the structure and plumbing, so I had to move out, and Gabbe offered me his house where I could stay there while I can't come back. And him and Miguel are very close to each other, so...
   - That sucks... - I pet her shoulder.
   - Yeah... - she mumbles - I'm trying to move on with things, but it all was a... remarkable experience...
   - I see... - I comment - and that Dana girl?
   - Well, after me and Miguel broke up, they both started a relationship, he proposed to her and... - her aura gets more melancholic - she died...
   - Oh... - now I'm feeling bad for making that joke earlier with him... - this is really complicated... - Xina nods in agreement.
   - Hey! You two! - Miguel shouts from the car, we both look at him - I'm gonna give you three a ride home! - me and Kwan look at each other - Come on! - we both get in on the backseat.
   - Yo want my madre... - Gabbe mumbles.
   - You need to go home... - Miguel responds roughly as he starts the car engine - and you also need to stop drinking your pain away, you don't wanna become dad, right?
   - No... - Gabriel mumbles.
   Next is just awkward silence as Miguel drives and Gabbe mumbling some nonsense things. This looks like a funeral. I notice that are some sort of TVs behind the seats, Xina taps on the screen behind Gabriel's seat and a holographic-like wall between the front seats and the backseat appears, now I can't hear Gabriel mumbling anymore.
   - Now I can talk to you - Kwan sigh reliefed, she starts to get mose serious - what are you doing with Miguel?
   - Research thing on theology and occultism - I respond a bit nervous.
   - But why him? - she asks - he's so skeptical..!
   - I've noticed... - I mumble, I need a great excuse - but he has the money, so...
   - Where do you know him? - she questions. I have to come up with something believable.
   - Work - I replie.
   - Do you work at Alchemax? - she raises and eyebrow.
   - No, we met at a guitar store, the place that I work - I try to explain nervously - he was a costumer.
   - I see... - she mumbles. She looks at me like I was... An enemy... - What happened... there..? - she points to the bandages on my arm.
   - Work accident - I respond as I put my hand over the bandages, she doesn't say nothing after.
   I read her thoughts:
   - Don't be jealous, Xina, you're his ex, you don't have nothing to do with his future partners and Selene isn't like Dana... She probably doesn't even date him...
   Oh... Is she jealous of me? But I don't even date him! I would rather go to Hell than date him! I wonder if she felt like that with Dana...
   - Xina... Do you like cats? - I ask.
   - Oh, yes... why? - she raises an eyebrow.
   - Well... - I grab the camera and turn it on, Kwan eyes widely sparkle.
   - A digital camera?! - she asks enthusiastically with a big smile - is it original? - I nod in response - it's like... from the early two-thousands'?
   - Yep... - I replie - it was a gift from a friend... I would show you pics of my cat so you could feel better.
   - That's very... nice from you... - she says - but, can I take some pics?
   - Oh, sure..! - I respond as I give the camera to her - click here to take a pic - I point to the button.
   She starts to take a bunch of pictures of the car's inside, herself and me. She seems to really enjoy it, smiling enthusiastically. She looks at my shirt and asks:
   - Selene, do you like The Cure?
   - Yes - I respond - I'm kinda of a goth, you know.
   - Yep, and this band is great..! - she says - I'm a big enthusiastic of last century's things and culture, which includes the goth subculture.
   - I'm as well - I say with a smile - and the ones from the centuries before as well.
   - Nice..! - she says with a smile. She seems happier now, maybe the issue is just Miguel. She is just jealous of me when Miguel is around...
   The car stops in front of Hell's Bells, I wave goodbye to Xina as she returns my camera, Miguel and I just look at each other for a bit and I get out of the car. The car goes away, I just see a soccer ball flying from the top of the building, I look up and see Esther looking down. She shouts:
   - Selene! Can you get the ball for me, please?
   - Just a second! - I shout back. I walk to the other side of the road, get the boll, go enter home and walk upstairs until the rooftop, where Esther is waiting for me - here...
   - Thank you, Selene - she says, grabbing the ball - I have to train to be better than Madison.
   - Is Madison your colleague? - I ask.
   - Yes - she responds - she thinks she can do kick-ups better than everyone, so I'll prove she's wrong.
   - But do you enjoy doing kick-ups..? - I ask.
   - Yes! Look - she says with a smile, she does some kick-ups, the ball falling sometimes but she still doesn't give up.
   - You're great..! - I give her a smile - continue training and you'll get better every day... Just be careful to not to throw the ball on someone's window...
   We both giggles as she continues playing, I smile and go back to my apartment. That girl has future, if she has the right opportunities, she'll probably be a professional one day... But anyway, I have demons to study, a mystery to solve and Spidey to deal with.