Court of Miracles

" It has been a week since I came here, and things are going better than I expected...
First, I have an apartment, a pretty nice one, on the top of my workplace and the support of Asiman, Carmilla, Gus, and even Esther are something admirable..!
Let's start with Gus: He's a chill guy who cracks some dad jokes when he's in a good mood, and he's also a nice boss. He really loves his store. He's really passionate about music, specially rock music and its variants. Hes a bit crazy, but he trys to make things work for everyone the best way possible. I can consider him as a friend.
Now Carmilla: She's a bit grumpy, but she's soft in the inside, especially for her family. Her figure is really mysterious most of the time, but I think it's just her normally. She also helped me fix some of Gus' old clothes that had holes. She has an incredible ability with needlework. But still, we aren't that close to each other.
Next Asiman: I thought she didn't like me at first but turns out she is just very paranoid and protective with her family. She's pretty badass and charismatic as well. She taught me how to do sharp ass nails, and that shit has a great cut, not gonna lie, and I taught her how to do some different eyeliner designs. She really enjoys make-up in general. I think we can be friends one day.
And now, Esther: She's an adorable little girl, she loves animals (she spends more time with Meowy then with me) and soccer, but hates broccoli with the bottom of her soul (I can relate, I don't like it either). She has such a pure heart, and it's nice to play games with her. She makes me want to have kids one day (even though I can't).
Oh, and before I forget, there's Meowy: It's a silly little cat, cute but it bite, a lot. But I'm happy with giving this little furry ball happiness.
I'm still trying to figure out how does the world of 2099 works, and it's pretty much complex. The technology is complex, the city is complex, and the dynamics are complex. Why is everything in this city complex?! And apparently, all the vampires have this same struggle (most of us are more than hundreds of years old, so it's complicated to be into the new things all the time).
Before I left, some other things: Asiman and Carmilla own a pretty well-known vampire club called ' Nosferatu's ' and Gus plays there sometimes, but he's not currently playing there because of the top surgery. When I start receiving my salary, I'll go there to have some shots. According to what Gus said, Carmilla does most of the drinking, and they're actually pretty tasty, I would like to taste one...
Asiman, Esther and I are going to the so-called ' Court of Miracles ', it's like a underground vampire medieval fair-mall thing. We are going there because Esther needs some new clothing before she starts school after summer, and since I have earned some tips from the job, I will see what I can buy.
Anyway, my life is kinda calm right now, I hope there's no storm soon... "
I close my sketchbook as Asiman calls me to get out of the bus, I put my things back in my ecobag and get out of the bus with the two other girls. I follow them quickly until we arrive at the front doors of a big gothic church... It seems it's almost touching the starless sky of how enormous it appears to be...
- I just hope Fahter Jennifer doesn't stop us while we enter - Asiman mumbles while looking at the entrance doors.
- Father... Jennifer..? - I ask confused - Can woman be priests now?
- Yes - Asiman answers, looking behind at me - since 2050... But you don't have to worry, she's a nice person, but every time we go, she asks so many questions that it gets a bit annoying..!
- I see... - I mumble... I just hope she doesn't use other people's faith to do horrible things, like... others...
We enter the church, walking down to the chantry, the footsteps echos the place, the candles give this place some weak and turvy light source and the statues of catholic saints seems to be starting at the depths of my soul, judging my sins... It wouldn't be a surprise if there was an angel on the chantry to judge my sins and decide if I go to heaven or hell... This really gives me a shiver down my spine, the judging divine eyes... I haven't stepped in a church in a while, so the energy is a bit weird... But still, the architecture is beautiful, the only construction with personality in this futuristic and boring-ass city..!
We stop in front of a statue of Virgin Mary on the chantry. Her gaze seems so serene... Asiman bites her own thumb until it bleeds, as the blood drops flow out, she scrubs the bloody finger on the hands of the statue and the stone figure absorbers the red liquid like it was a sponge, not letting any sing that there was something there. My eyes wide a bit... Maybe it's magic...
Then the small ogive where Virgin Mary statue is moves to the side by itself, making a noise of stone being rubbed against another, reveling a dark passage behind that monument with the same shape as the ogive. Asiman looks around a bit and says:
- Come on, Selene.
I nod, Asiman holds Eshter hand and they both enter the passage, I follow them to the darkness, and the statue closes the entrance behind me, leaving us three in the darkness. I think it's a passage for the Court of Miracles, but why did they do the entrance in a Catholic church? This is the last place that a vampire would go!
- The Court is on the end of this tunnel - Asiman says as she walks through the tunnel, I follow the sound of her steps and Esther's.
- Why is the entrance on a cathedral? - I ask - considering the historic between the Church and vampires, it wasn't supposed to be..!
- Well, there are many entrances to the Court - she starts - but most of them were destroyed due to construction or are on the sewers of Nueva York, and I don't like the smell or the possibility to get leptospirosis..! - she giggles a bit at the end, I giggle as well.
- So the best entrance is the church one? - I ask.
- Yep - the woman responds.
- And what's the origin of this court? - I question.
- It was originally build to be a refuge to another specie that lived on the underground of the city, the Morlocks - she tells - which we had a great relationship with, but a horrible plage, La Plaga, came about eighty years ago and they all died... It was tragic, only the vampires reminded, but still, we keep the memories of them alive.
- Really? - I ask curious.
- Yes - she starts - they were pretty cool, and many important leaders and people to them have names on aisles.
- Aisles? - I raise an eyebrow, questioning.
- The Court is divided into 13 aisles with different products and services - she says - and there is a big round stage on the middle that sometimes holds some presentations, speeches, and other things like that.
- I see... - I mumble.
- Mom, is it gonna take too long? - Eshter asks a bit tiered - my legs are hurting...
- In a minute, darling - Asiman says, trying to comfort her - wanna mom to carry you?
- Yes! - she says happily like she wasn't tiered a few seconds ago... That child is smart...
- You just wanna mom to carry you, right? - Asiman asks a bit sassy.
- Yep - Esther responds.
- You have luck that mom is still very strong - Asiman says as she picks Esther up.
I smile a bit, they're a cute family, I wish I had a family like that...
As we walk more further in the tunnel, we start to see a light in the end (we aren't dieing, I swear), we walk until the end of the passage and we arrive at the Court of Miracles. It's enormous, the walls' bricks are pretty desgastante with the time, the light comes from thousands of old-fashioned light poles in every aisle, and there are so many tents that I can't even count.
This is way bigger than I expected. There are many different people walking around and salespeople trying to get their attention with a huge variety of products and services. Then Asiman looks at me and says:
- Follow me, Nabeshima's store is near here - she walks through the crowded aisle.
- Nabeshima..? - I ask, following her through the crowd, I hope I don't lose her in the middle of the crowd. She's kinda short so she can easily get out of sight.
- They's a salesperson that has one of the best fabrics here, plus other little things they sells..!
- Hum... - I mumble and follow them both until they stop at the front of a tend with the front coverd with many fabrics with one of the most beautiful embroidery I've ever seen, the light that reflects on them make the look like they're moving and popping out of the fabrics. It's truly a work of art...
Then Asiman and Esther enter in the tender though the fabrics, I enter as well, inside its a bit darker but yet, the embroidery doesn't loses its charm, I'm magnified by the splendor of this... This Nabeshima really knows how to make good products. No wonder why Asiman likes to buy clothes here. And there is a bunch of cats here as well, climbing on this and laying down.
- Asiman! - a figure emerges from the forest of fabulous fabrics. They's short, has really short black hair, light skin, big petal dark-redish eyes that look like cats' and glow a bit in the darkness, pointy sunglasses on the top of their head and some clothes that look like a kimono but much more large, with some sort of overcoat that is similar to another kimono and with that beautiful embroidery like the other fabrics - How have you been? And how is the little Esther? - they pets Esther's head, and she giggles a bit.
- We're here to buy new clothing for my daughter - Asiman says - she has grown a bit and some of the clothes don't fit anymore.
- I see... - they says, holding their chin - I think I have some - then they notices me and looks at me from the bottom to the top - and who are you, big lady?
- Selene - I respond with a smile - I'm with they two - I point to the two girls.
- I'm Nabeshima Neko, pleasure to meet you - they says with a smile - I haven't seen you here before... - they mumbles, narrowing their eyes - are you new in Nueva York?
- Yes - I respond - isn't it obvious? - I chuckle a bit, and they chuckles as well.
- Well, I hope you feel welcome in this high-tec complex jungle! - they says with a smile - I have some delightful products for you..!
- I'll take a look - I say, looking around a bit, they three go to another part of the back of the tend and I walk around it a bit, trying not to step on the cats (I would feel horrible if I did so).
I look around a bit and see a white and dark red mask hanging on a corner, it looks like its made out of porcelain, the eyes are all black and the design of the upper part seems to be so organic, just like Art Nouveau. I take it on my hands to analyze a bit closer, it's cold and pretty...
- Seems like someone got interested - I hear a sassy voice behind me, I look back and it's just Nabeshima with a sassy smile on their face - this material is pretty good, it can simulate porcelain but it's way more resistant! Plus, there is sun protection on the eyes, so you can see properly during the daytime..!
- Nice... - I mumble - how much is it?
- 30 dollars or 20 gramms of silver - they says with a big smile.
- Ok... - I respond, I think I'll have to create silver on my own becuse I don't have all of that money..! - let me try it on a bit - I put the mask on, adjusting it on my head, and if fits perfectly!
- It looks great! - Nabeshima says with a smile - take a look at the mirror - they gets a small mirror from behind the cashier desk and puts it in front of me so I can see my reflection. I look so mysterious... I like it.
- You're right, Nabeshima - I mumble, touching the mask a bit.
Then I feel something weird... I know this feeling well. This shiver down my spine, and my senses are getting tuned in, I'm almost an walking antenna...
I hear some loud sound outside the tend, like something was exploding, than people screaming and running, I walk out the tent quickly and see what's happening: a gigant mixture of a leech with a dark worm and pointy and short fangs on its round mouth exploded one of the walls of the underground court, coming out of that hole that it created, giving an extremely high-pitched roar. This really hurts my ears and everyone else here. The people run away screaming in fear.
- Oh! - Nabeshima screams behind me, their eyes wide, and they enters back on the tend and grabs all the cats on their arms.
- Selene, what's going on? - Asiman appears though the fabric forest and walks towards my direction seriously.
- How can I explain this... - I start, but Asiman walks out the tend and gets shocked with what she sees, then she turns back.
- Nabeshima, get Esther out of here! - she screams, Nabeshima nods and goes to the back of the tend with 4 cats on their arms.
I use my shap ass nails to get some blood out of my fingertips and turn the drops of blood into an ax.
- This will be enough, I think... - I mumble.
- What is that..? - Asiman asks with wide eyes.
- It's Iike a curse - I respond - but I don't have time to explain. You need to get out of here. It's dangerous.
- I'm gonna kill this thing... - she says, looking at the creature with a scary gaze... It scares me, for real... - can you make a shotgun with this curse of yours..?
- S-sure..! - I respond scared, turn the remaining drops of blood into a shotgun and give it to her, and she examines it a bit.
- This is good... - she mumbles - do you have any plan in mind?
- Well... - I start, I didn't make up any plan - I think... Tear apart that thing..?
- That sounds like a great one... - she says while looking at the monster - let's do this: I'll try to distract that thing from the people and you come from behind and cut its head off, sounds good enough for you?
- Yes, actually... - I respond, she gives a small and determined smile - Now, do your thing..!
She nods, points the gun to the monster's head, and shoots. The sound is deafening, the creature screams as the bullet hits its head, bleeding a bit, and Asiman smiles proudly.
But then, the creature turns its head to Asiman, and by its posture and sounds that it's making, it doesn't seem it's something good. I have an idea...
I put my hand on Asiman's shoulder, foucus all my energy on a spot on the other side of the court where I look without blinking and teleport us both to there, but the monster turns to the crowd running away to the entrance, it seems it's about to attack them..!
- Not my daughter! - Asiman shouts angrily, but she seems so angry that she shoots the creature's head without any mercy and non-stop until there are anymore bullets.
I use the nails to make some blood flow out of my skin and make new bullets for her, but when she's putting these bullets inside the gun, the gigant worm turns its head to us. It moves its head brutally to our direction, but I push Asiman away so she doesn't get hurt and that thing's pushes me against the wall, I hit so hard against the wall that it hurts.
As it slowly moves away, I nail my sharp nails in the worm's neck and it moves its head up and I hold against it harder so I don't fall, I hope these nails are strong enough. My back hurts a bit.
I have an idea... I turn my ax on the ground into blood and then into grenade and shout:
- Asiman, throw that grenade into this bizarre spaghetti's mouth!
- Ok! Just give me a minute! - she shouts back while she finishes reloading the gun.
She runs to where the granede was and get it, the monster starts to following her, I hold against it harder and she runs, runs really fast as she can. Than the woman throws the grenade inside the monster's mouth and it explodes inside of it, near of where I'm. The head flys forward a bit, I hit and get dragged along the flying head, it hurts! It burns! When it stops, I try to look to Asiman, she looks angry and mumbles something in another language...
I push the decapitated head away with all my strength, It's so reliefing not having that weight over me... But my back still hurts, and it's more painful than before.
- Selene! - Asiman says as she comes closer to me - Are you ok?
- I'm fine, thank you... - I respond while slowly getting up - did you or anyone get hurt?
- Thankfully, no - she says with a small proud smile.
I look at the monster's corpse and say:
- We did a great job..! - than I look at my nails and to Asiman - this nails are such a good weapon.
- That's what they were meant for..! - Asiman responds with a big smile and bowing down a bit - And it was a honor to fight by your side, Selene...
- The honor is mine, Asiman... - I say, bowing down back. It's the calm after the storm...
I smile, than I hear someone coming, it's just Eshter and Nabeshima with a bunch of cats and bags in their arms, Esther shouts as she runs to the direction of her mother:
- Mom!
- Darling! - she shouts back worried as she kneels down and hugs her - are you ok? You didn't hurt yourself, right?
- I'm fine! - the kid responds - Nabeshima helped me, and I helped them carry their cats..!
- Good, darling... - the woman responds calmer tham before, then she looks at Nabeshima - thank you...
Nabeshima smiles and winks in response.
- You and Selene are super strong! - the child says with a smile - I want do be like you when I grow up!
- You will - her mother responds with a smile. I smile as well... This little girl has future...
At least we're safe now... Does Nueva York have monsters attacking them frequently or this is punctual? And if is usual, nobody tries to defend people?! This world is lost...
I take off the mask a bit, staring at it on my hands, I try to return it to Nabeshima, but they refuses and says:
- It's for free, since you two saved everyone, you can get the things you were buying for free.
Asiman smiles widely, I smile a bit... Does this happen frequently here? And no one does nothing?! This city needs someone to protect them, but since no one has done anything, I'll do it, I can't just let people die when I can help avoid many of those deaths..! Maria would be proud...
Asiman, Esther and I walked out that place becuse a woman with dark skin, big glasses and a hijab told everyone to leave and rebuild everything the next day... I feel bad for the people who lost their things, their only way to make some money...
As we enter in the bus and sit down, Asiman sigh a bit, I look at her and ask:
- What's wrong..?
- I think... - she responds a bit sad - it's just end of the adrenaline rush...
- I can understand - I respond - once you're really used to dangerous, the calm seems strange...
- Yes... - she agrees - it remains me of the war times...
- War..? - I question.
- My kingdom, Daomé, had one of the bloodiest armys of its time - she starts - and I was a warrior alongside many other woman.
- So that explains your habilites with battles - I mumble - was Daomé a vampire kingdom..?
- Yes, it's consider where the vampires like us first appeared, the west African coast - she responds - even though the Church hunted us, we had a great relationship with the Europeans, specially comercial, but one day they decided to split the entire African continent in parts for each nation, but they didn't considered the kingdoms, empires, nations, tribes, villages and other groups that have been living there for ages..! And France got the Daomé's land in the trade and the war started... That land was ours for ages - she seems a bit sadder now - we fought for our land, we protected what was ours, specially the army, but one day, we were in a battle against the french army, and they did something that I don't remember well that send me to coma, so my army nurses put me in that stone coffin that you you use as a bed to send me to the main city so I could get a better treatment, but it was stolen and I woke up in Mexico, when I met Carmilla and Gus...
- Oh... - I mumble - it must be confusing to wake up in a totally diferentes place.
- Surly it was, but they helped me with all my necessities - she responds - I didn't wanted to stay there at first, but and me and Carmilla fell in love and I decided to stay, it was about the 19's. We got married and moved here in the 70's.
- And started the store and the club... - I mumble, Asiman nods in response.
- You know... - she starts - after I lost my kingdom, my old family, my friends and my old life, I promised myself to protect my love ones at all costs... But I'm not at the top of my strength anymore, I feel incapable of protecting them and my worst fear is that the history repeats with them... And I don't wnat to have this past fear always following me, I just want to enjoy my family like anyone else...
- Oh... I can understand... - I mumble - if you ever feel like that, you can vent with me, I'm a great listener...
- Thank you, Selene - she smiles, I can see a few tears coming from her eyes.
- You're welcome... Wanna hug..? - I offer, she nods and hug her for a bit but than she pulls away with a small smile - Have you ever tried getting some help to deal with all this thing..?
- Yes - she responds - Me, Gus and Carmilla have tried going to therapy, but it's way too expensive, like health-care in general.
- Even here?! - I say - this is like, a basic thing..!
- Exactly! - Asiman agrees - but this world is already cruel enough for an average person, imagine to a vampire..! We could be considering very lucky here...
- Yeah... We don't have one day of peace - I mumble and Asiman nods in agreement.
I look at Esther, she's sleeping, almost lying on her mother's lap, who starts petting her head as running her fingers though her daughter's dark curls affectionately. I remember there is a word for this in portuguese, Cafuné...
They are a beautiful family, they should be protected at all costs... And I'm willing to protect them and many others... This city needs someone to protect them, and I'm willing to to so, despise the risk... Or maybe just become a weird masked lady.
It's like what Maria said: " With great power comes great sacrifices "...