Self-Destruction

⚠️TW: SH⚠️

   - So that's why we're going to the edge of the world - Lyla says.
   - Exactly - I mumble as I keep focusing on the road ahead - I thought vampires would have access to the Web, but apparently, they prefer older methods...
   Did something bad happen to Selene? It's hard to know what she's feeling or thinking sometimes... Maybe that mystery keeps me interested in her.
   I stop the car by that guitar store, get out of the car, lock it and go towards that metal door with a skull. The store is closed. Shock! Maybe I'll have to enter in another way...
   I look up, after the neon sign there's a small balcony on the third floor, I can climb and see if there's any entrance. I go to an alley on the side of the building and climb using my claws until the third floor.
   I go to the side of the building where the balcony is and lend there. I see a wooden door that looks like a window but bigger, and it's unlocked. I open it and enter the apartment.
   It's a small apartment, the walls are kinda yellow and the floor is made out of a dark wood. I didn't know that people still use wooden floors. There's some furniture as well, they seem very old, although they look pretty conserved. Selene did a great job taking care of this.
   Then I hear something, I look around and see a black cat walking towards a open door. I enter the room where the cat entered, it's pretty small and dark, with a bunch of old furniture and what looks like a stone coffin in the middle of it, with a mattress inside, some pillows and blankets and someone is under the blankets, I can see them breathing, it's probably Selene. So vampires do sleep in coffins!
   I come closer to the coffin, I can her Selene's low voice lamenting something:
   - Honte, honte, honte...
   - Selene..? - tap on her shoulder.
   - Why are you here, Miguel..? - she asks with sadness.
   - You were gone and didn't say anything, I thought the Public Eye did something, but no... - I replie - And I couldn't find you on the Web in order to keep contact with you, so... That's why I'm here.
   - I didn't finish that book, you know that... - she mumbles.
   - I'm not here for the book information - I say - I'm here to tell you something that happened on the zoo earlier, and it's not the bat I'm talking about.
   - It was the dead woman, the 2 dead children, and the dead crow, right..? - her voice gets more melancholic. Oh, she's smarter than I thought...
   - Yes... - I confirm - did you see the corpses? - she nods under the tissues - why didn't you tell me instead of letting me discover by myself and almost get caught?
   - The thing isn't only the corpses... - she whispers. She's being either really dramatic or really disturbed - there were roses... roses on the bullet holes... and this... - her hand slips though the fabrics with a paper, I grab it, and there's something written with blood, but I can't understand what it says - it's written: " Death is near. You have been warned. "...
   - Shock... - I mumble. Now I have to deal with a poorly written death tread besides the shocking demon! Great job, Miguel!
   - And after I read that, the roses disappeared... - she says. Then I start to feel the smell of blood...
   - Selene, can you smell..? - I ask.
   - I can, I have a nose - she responds roughly.
   - Why are you like this now? - I raise an eyebrow.
   - Why do you care? - she replies angrily - you're so fucking selfish, you don't even care about other people's feelings, why would you care about me? A little shameful nobody...
   - Selene, what's going on? - I try to pull out the blankets on her, she tries to hold them in place, but I pull them strong enough to get them out.
   She's lying on fetal position, crying and with her arms scratched and bleeding, her black pointy nails are covered with blood...
   - What the... - I mumble shocked, my eyes wide.
   - I deserve this, Miguel... - she mumbles.
   - No you don't..! - I oppose.
   - I couldn't save those people, and it all was... too much... more than usual...
   - You cannot save everyone, Selene - I say - I know that very well. It's inevitable... - she looks at me with those watery eyes - It wasn't your fault - I try to comfort her, I'm not the best, but I can always try - you did what you could and saved many others. Sometimes you have to choose between saving one person and saving the whole world...
   - I hate ethical dilemmas with the bottom of my soul... - she mumbles.
   - Now they're a part of your reality and there's nothing you can do about it - I replie, she looks away in sorrow - someone has to be brutally honest with you.
   - I prefer an ugly truth over a sweet lie, although it still hurts... - she says.
   Then I feel something rubbing against me, I look to see what it is and it's the cat, it goes towards Selene and rub itself on her legs. The redhead pets the animal's head, it purrs as it rest its head on her legs.
   - You shouldn't do that to yourself - I point to her arm - it isn't healthy.
   - I know, but was one of the few ways I could find to deal with everything...
   - Promise me you won't do this again... - I mumble quickly.
   - What..? - she looks at me. Her weird eyeliner is all blurry like her tears were black.
   - Promise you won't do this again, please... - I say a bit slower - do you talk to anyone about this..?
   - Not really...
   - Oh... - I look away as I rub the back of my neck. Damn... This is complicated... - if you ever need to, you know... Talk to someone about... This... You can talk to me... I'm not the best at comforting or... Advising others, but I'll try making an afford for you...
   - Really..? - she raises an eyebrow- I thought you didn't care that much about others, specially me..!
   - Look, I know I may not be the most empathetic person on Earth, but at least I try to help, and mostly, I'm trying to make this partnership work, and if you aren't well, this won't go well.
  - I see... - she mumbles - thank you... I appreciate that...
   - You're welcome... - I mumble. I hope things get better from now and on, I'm not a therapist to take care of someone else's problems.
   Selene lies on her back and sigh, she grabs the cat and lies it on her stomach, petting its head as the animal purrs. I sid down next to her, pull my hand closer to the cat and pet its back, its fur is really soft yet shiny.
   As I pet the feline, it relaxes and lies on Selene's stomach peacefully. I have to admit, this is cute.
   - If you said it wasn't, I would kick you out of my house - Selene mumbles and chuckles a bit. But I didn't say anything... How does she know?
   - Wait, what? - I look at her with wide eyes.
   - Didn't you just say that..? - she looks at me.
   - No, I didn't, I thought that... - I raise an eyebrow - do you have any telepathic abilities?
   - I do - she replies - like reading other people's thoughts. It's a vampire thing.
   - Don't read mine, you're invading my privacy.
   - Bro, I've readed your thoughts many times - she chuckles - that's how I found out you were Spider-Man.
   - Oh... - I look away - don't do that again, please...
   - If you say so... - she smirks.
   You're doing it right now, don't you?
   - Yes - she smiles. Looks like she wasn't suffering a few minutes ago...
   - I'm trying to distract myself from my pain..! - she opposes.
   - Can you stop reading my thoughts for a second? - I say a bit angry.
   - Ok! Ok... - she smiles slyly and looks back to the cat with a wider smile. Her smile is really cute, I have to say. Those fangs give her a little charm.
   I look to her arm, her injuries are still bleeding but not as much as before.
   - Selene, do you have any first aid kit..?
   - On some desk there - she answers, distracted with the cat.
   I look around and see a small plastic wilhite case with a red cross on a table near the door. How convenient. I extend my arm and use the webs to stick them on it, bringing the case to my hands. Next I hear Selene giggling.
   - What's now? - I look at her.
   - Nothing, just... - she tries to hold her laugh while she does the same hand movement as I do to release the webs, moving only the hand down while the arm stay still - your gay?
   - No - I replie.
   - If you say so... - she laughs - I would say we could finally have a gay Spider-Man, although you would probably be a toxic bottom.
   - I'm neither gay or toxic - I say a bit annoyed - now sit up and shut up.
   - What if I don't..? - she says sassily. I shoot a web on her mouth, her eyes wide as she sits up and try to remove the webs with her sharp nails. I giggle.
   - Don't worry about this - I say - I'll take them afterwards, now stay still...
   I open the case, grab some alcohol, cotton and bandages and start to clean up her arm injuries as she squeezes her eyes.
   - You can handle this, I know you can - I say though telepathy.
   - It burns! - she says though telepathy.
   - I know... - I think.
   I warp some bandages around her injuries and do the same procedure on her other arm. Now I notice, she's quite muscular, those biceps look like they could kill someone.
   It's time to take the webs off. I hold her chin and peel them off her face quickly, a few tears come out of her eyes as she squeeze them more, puts her hands on her face and slowly lies down again.
   - Are you sadistic as well?! - she shouts - I didn't like this forced waxing!
   - Maybe... - I smirk and chuckle, she looks at me with narrow eyes - don't complain, you should thank me..! - I smile a bit, she just closes her eyes. My smile slowly fades. Why are feelings so shocking complicated? I should be used to this hurricane, but it always catches me out of the blue.
   - Are you feeling... any better..? - I ask, trying to comfort her.
   - Pretty much... - Selene responds.
   - Good... - I mumble.
   - How should I communicate with you in case... I need..? I don't have access to any new technology-
   - I'll take care of that later - I interrupt - you can... come to my house if you need...
   - Ok... - she mumbles - I really appreciate your help. Not many people have been this kind to me...
   - I'm just... doing what I have to do... - I replie as I rub the back of my neck and get up from the coffin, going towards the door.
   - Leaving already..? - she asks with a low voice.
   - I'm kinda busy - I respond - but I'll be in my place, you can come there if you need...
   - Ok... - she says, I look behind and see her smiling - be careful on your way back...
   - I will... - I smile back and get out of the room.
   Selene really doesn't seems like that annoying weird lady I've met at first, more like someone really damaged, no one with a good mental health does that...