THIRTY FIVE

It was quiet

It was quiet.

The low rumble of his heart was the only thing he could hear. Not even the faintest sound of footsteps echoed in the large castle. It was perfectly still, as if no one had lived in the castle for years.

He hid in the tallest tower in the highest room with the doors closed shut. The only way to get in now was through the large red glass stain window. The blowing wind howling in the distance. The smallest creak from outside was even audible. Yet, that strangely disturbed him. No way the people in the castle were all taken. There was far too many nobles, even some from different countries present at the ball for it to be this quiet. The ballroom was crowded to the brim and yet no a single creak was heard. It was buzzing with noise and boastful laughter earlier, yet once more his party was crashed by that damn woman.

Who would've guessed?

He's been king for many years, and not once has been at peace. Robin Hood never left him alone since even before he became king. Even when he was a prince with such little power, Robin Hood still tormented him. Even now many years later, where he thought he had finally killed Robin Hood, his daughter comes along and does the same. The tormenting never stopped.

The game never ended.

It started way before even the current prince was born. Just when the king was just a prince. He remembered the first time Robin Hood had appeared. Prince John, was his name at the time, had finally able to move his older brother out of the throne and thrown him to war. He was able to convince his father, the former king how valuable that land was. To fight alongside the very country they had gotten along with, the Kingdom of Jade. He always knew how much his father was a conquer. It didn't take much to convince his father. Yet when it came to the throne, for some reason his father never wanted to hand it over to him.

He never understood why. His mother was the queen of the land, he was the legitimate son of both the king and queen, he had the most noblest blood of all the land. By any means he should've been first in line, so why did his father choose the older son who came from a mere concubine? What world was he even living in for his father to choose someone who wasn't even have noble status?

His brother Prince Richard, was a prince who excel in everything. He was an amazing swordsman, student, and even loved by the people. All the people loved him. Many had said he was handsome and charming, someone fit to rule the kingdom. Yet Prince John was none of those. He lacked the title for a prince. Perhaps that was one reason his dumb father chose the illegitimated child over him.

He was frustrated. Always being compared to his older brother who was good at everything. Yet there was one flaw in this perfect man. His ability to be close to the nobles.

The nobility were hard enough to please in the first place. Even though they only took a mere one third of the population, they still had a say in politics and such. They had a much greater influence than the working class. Having them on his side was no work at all. Since the nobility worked close with the king, it wasn't hard to convince the king to send his favorite son in a conquering quest.