Chapter thirty-three- Mirabella

"Is Matteo coming?"

"Is Matteo coming?"

"No. I don't think he is."

"Why do I smell him then?"

Pablo crouches down, carefully picking me up, placing me in the wheelchair. "Don't worry about Matteo, hmm? He's not here."

One month. It has been one month since I was brought into this hospital. I was in a coma for the first two weeks and after another two weeks of being poked with needles non stop, I'm finally allowed to go home.

Finally!

My world came crumbling around me after the doctor had informed me that I lost my baby. It was even more unbearable after the memories of that night came crashing down on me.

Although I'm unable to remember the events of that night in detail, the pain is still there. The scars on my skin, the loss of my baby, everything I've been through is all the proof I need that indeed, that night happened.

The doctor confirmed that it's okay that I don't remember everything in detail as it is a trauma response but I still dream about it. The punches, the slaps, my screams and whimpering, their laugh of mockery; everything is imprinted in my brain and it hurts so bad.

But it doesn't hurt as much as Matteo's disappearance. He walked out on me the day I woke up from coma, he walked out after he had found out that I couldn't protect the child he desperately wanted and since then, I haven't seen a peep of him.

But I smell him everywhere.

Pablo says it's because I miss him too much but that's not the case.

Some nights I feel him staring at me while I sleep, sometimes I feel his fingers laced with mine while I sleep. Sometimes I smell his cologne so strongly in my private ward or the hallway.

I feel as though he's with me but the truth is that he isn't.

He left me because I'm of no use to him.

I'm no longer innocent, I'm no longer pure. I've been used. I've been used up for the satisfaction of dirty, unworthy men.

Now I'm worth nothing.

I'm just a disgusting piece of shit.

What would the Don—scratch that—The Godfather of the Italian mafia want with a crippled woman who's unable to have a proper conversation without stuttering between sentences.

Fuck my life.

We arrive at the estate after a few hours and Pablo carries me bridal style into the mansion as he heads for the hallway. Downstairs.

"Why aren't we going upstairs? Did Matteo kick me out?" He chuckles at my question.

"Matteo did not and will never kick you out. But the doctor advised that you stay close to the medical room just in case you're in urgent need of medical attention. You know how big the mansion is and we cannot risk keeping you far from the medical help you might require."