Chapter fifty- Mirabella

The act of embracing the truth

The act of embracing the truth. To look beyond the difficulties and the fear that comes with facing reality. To view the truth as a blessing. To find solace in the fact that the truth is a sparkling light even when the storm of darkness looms.

I've embraced the truth.

The truth that I can no longer keep my children away from their heritage. The truth that whether I like it or not, my children will always have Matteo Denaro's blood pumping through their veins. The truth that my little angels desperately crave their father's love.

But it hurts so bad. It hurts so bad that I have to let him into their lives except, I have no choice in the matter.

They love him, they want him, they're happy that he's here and I'll be the most selfish person on earth to take that away from them.

I've never seen my children beam with joy the way they did last night whilst talking about their father and I cannot say for sure how they figured out that Matteo is their father but I guess blood is really as strong. And of course my children are way too smart for their own age.

Breathing out a shuddered breath, I push open their door, walking in with hopes that the three of us are able to bond through breakfast but I find that the room is empty, causing my brows to furrow.

My kids have learnt not to step out of their room in the morning until I come in to get them, so why the hell is this room so empty?

"Mariana?! Mariano?!" I push open the doors to both the closet and the washroom, screaming their names but all I get in return is the resounding echo of my voice.

Fear creeps in, almost crippling me whilst my mind replays a thousand and one possible events that must've prompted the absence of my kids.

Christ!

I take to my heels, running as fast as I can through the halls and down the stairs.

"Ares! Zara!" I scream and it doesn't take more than five seconds before they're running towards me with their guns.

"What's going on?" Ares questions with concern in his eyes whilst I hyperventilate. I bend over, both my palms resting on my knees whilst I choke and gasp for air.

"The kids are gone. . ." I whisper, feeling my eyes well up with tears. "They're not in their rooms, Ares. Get the security footages! Now!"

"Uhm ma'am. . ." I turn around with furrowed brows, staring blankly at the kid's nanny. I restrain from snapping, instead, I quirk a brow at her, nudging her to speak.

"They went to the other wing earlier this morning. I tried stopping them but they said you gave your permission."

The other wing?

They're so many other wings in this mansion but I think I have an idea what wing this foolish woman is talking about.

My eyes redden.