Chapter fifty-six- Mirabella

"Because I loved you, dinnazione!"

It's a declaration. One made with a strained voice, staggered breath, and a hesitant heart.

Time stills. I blink, my blink slow—too slow, as though my grip on sanity is lost.

Certain events are impossible to prevent.

For years, decades even, it has been a known fact. Certain events cannot be prevented, but a knowing of its occurrence ensures that we are properly prepared for when those events does occur.

With Ares, my eyes were opened wide, my ears listening, intent to comprehend the signs by observation.

The manner at which he stared at me, smiled at me, took care of me, provided me with companionship—I wanted to comprehend.

Foolish of me to assume.

I was too much of a coward to have demanded clarity.

He was too much of a coward to have come forward, and clean about how he truly felt.

And now, we're put in a difficult situation.

Now, I'm in disbelief.

When did it happen?

How did it happen?

How possible was it that Ares harbored feelings for me?

My mind is clawed at by unnerving questions.

"Ares. . ." My voice shakes, the first of its kind. In horror, in disbelief, anger perhaps, my voice is a messy tremble of frequencies.

Ares loved me.

Ares loved me.

A scoff whooshes through my parted lips. This love, is it truly in the past or has it been once again buried in the present?

Buried for the sake of others.

Buried to avoid complications.

Even I can understand the pain that accompanies suppressing the reality of your emotions.

Ares steps forward. My legs, with a mind of their own, forces me backwards. I don't stop. I move backwards. Again.

Again.

Again.

My back collides with a wall. I sag all the way down until my ass is on the floor.

Ares shakes his head, averting his gaze from me—I see him vibrate, I see the way his chest quakes, and his face is wet. His eyes are watering. He groans, the sound indicating his frustration, fingers dragging across his face viciously.

"It's fucked up, I know." He begins. "I loved you so much, and I was jealous that I couldn't have you all to myself. I had waited, waited for you and Simon to end things—I knew the relationship was doomed anyway. And then Matteo sweeps in, and all of a sudden, you're married."