Chapter 17

A month later

A month later.

"Finally!!!!!!! Exams are over."

Maya yelled at the top of her lungs, making kids laugh at their exuberant teacher. When every student left the classroom, Ruhanika whacked her head. Maya rolled her eyes and gathered up all the exam papers.

Ruhanika sarcastically said, "You are acting as though your exams got over."

"What!? Why shouldn't I feel joyful? After a long time, we will finally take a few days off. Only I know how I've managed to balance a ton of work over the past month." Maya sighed and smiled as she sat down on the chair. Ruhanika cocked her head, extending her lips into a tiny smile.

"Don't act so ecstatic. We must hold a parent-teacher meeting within the coming week. So leave your blissful bubble now." Ruhanika stuck her tongue inside her cheek while Maya was giving her the stink glance.

"You are such a joy killer," Maya sighed and got to her feet, assisting Ruhanika in carrying the stack of exam papers to the staff room.

They both observed that all the teachers were jovial and discussing their plans for the few days of vacation. A few teachers were setting their shopping dates, while others were making travel plans. The atmosphere was really lighthearted. Ruhanika received a glance from Maya as she slammed the exam papers onto the allocated table, drawing attention to herself. Her eyes looked at Ruhanika with accusations filled in them.

What Maya was attempting to say was clear to Ruhanika. Evidently, Ruhanika had already been approached by Maya a few times but had been turned down using different excuses. "Fine," sighed Ruhanika. "This coming Saturday."

"Bring your sister along, too."

Maya was beaming with joy.

***

"Chachi, take these," Sitara said. I've trimmed the vegetables." Sitara stated as she handed Aruna the sliced veggie. Aruna walks into the kitchen as it is getting close to dinnertime in the evening.

Sitara made the decision to assist Aruna in all of her needs as she would be free up until the announcement of her exam results. She never cooked because she didn't know how, so she always did something else. She didn't even know how to slice vegetables at first, but as she watched Aruna and Ruhanika occasionally, she gradually learned.

When Sitara refused to cook while still assisting her in other areas, Aruna got the hint. However, she didn't have any issues with it. She had observed the young woman attempting to assist and devoting herself to her work. She also saw that Sitara picked up fresh knowledge rapidly and was a keen learner.

"Oho! Bhabhi aaj ke khane me kya??" Muskan questioned while sitting on the chair next to Sitara. She started college a month ago, and she is currently in her final year. As she stirred the Palak paneer, Aruna shook her head at her hopeless daughter.
(What's there in dinner today?)