VI

Hogwarts was darker than usual. The skies were covered with gray clouds and dementors surrounded every entrance. Froot hid in Askel's coat pocket, chittering in fear as the dementors glided by.

"Never fear Froot," Askel mumbled.

He dragged his trunk alongside the long cobblestone walkway up towards the castle. There were no kids outside, no laughter, no joy.

The doors opened as he approached. And outstepped Severus Snape.

"The Dark Lord told me you would be coming," he said

Askel looked him up and down. He looked exhausted. There were dark rings under his eyes and he seemed to be slouching.

"Lighten up Snape," he mumbled and patted his back as he made his way inside.

He looked around the castle. The interior inside didn't change. It was still late at night and the pictures were all sleeping. But the castle was lit by the warm fires set by the elves he presumed.

"You'll be staying in your old quarters," Snape explained

They started walking down the halls at a brisk pace.

"I'll need you to keep an eye on the students. Make sure they stay sour of trouble," he mumbled, "but most importantly..."

They turned a corner.

"Keep an eye on the Carrows'," he said

"Why did you hire them?" Askel asked

"Wasn't my choice,"

They settled into an uncomfortable silence as they made their way deeper into the castle.

"Your room," Snape said as he stopped in front of a door.

Askel nodded and pushed his way in.

"Oh, and Askel..." Snape said

Askel paused.

"Be careful,"

**
It seemed his head had just hit the pillow when Askel was awoken by screaming. Bloodcurdling screaming. Coming from a young girl. He jolted awake in fear and grabbed his wand in instinct.

It took him a second to gather himself and his thoughts. He looked around.

This wasn't Azkaban. He wasn't a prisoner. He was in Hogwarts.

Froot was cowering underneath the covers as he threw on a shirt and ran out of the room.

He could hear screaming and shouting coming from a distant hallway.

"HEY, LET HER GO!" He heard a familiar voice say

"Maybe you would like to take her place then?" The voice of Amycus Carrow said

The young girl's screaming stopped as someone was thrown against the floor.

"CRUCIO,"

More screaming echoed throughout the halls and more crying from other students. Askel ran into the correct hallway to see a group of students in a circle.

He pushed his way past with his wand raised and aimed it right at Amycus.

"DEPULSO," he shouted

Amycus went flying back and hit the wall with a thud.

"Nevile!" He said and went to the boy on the floor, "Neville can you hear me?"

The boy groaned but his eyes did not open. Askel started to panic.

He picked him up and did his best to try and carry him to the infirmary. He only made it halfway when he nearly collapsed... and McGongall nearly caught him.