Fair fight and a girls night

Iris:

"Do you want to finish these instead of me putting them in the trash?" I push the fries toward Luis who glances down at them.
"You don't need to buy me food" he casts his gaze away from me, leaving the food to sit between us.
"I know"
"So you're going to stop?"
"No" he sighs, shaking his head in annoyance while I push the fries closer to him.

"You're in my sister's classes" he raises his eyebrows but gives no other reaction.
"She said you're very smart, smart enough to rival her twin who has been top of her classes since she started middle school" Lu's interest seems to peak when I mention Ava.
"Ava is your sister?" I almost laugh out loud when I see his jaw drop the slightest bit in shock.
"Yes and Gracie, her twin"
"I understand Gracie but Ava, you're nothing alike. You're nice" oh god.

"Is Ava not?" He scowls, shoving a fry into his mouth almost angrily.
"Not to me"
"And why is that?" Luis isn't the most welcoming person in the world so I'm not to surprised that Ava isn't the friendliest to him either, although she's not nasty for no reason.
"Cause I beat her in the first test we had" and theres it is. "Now I see the problem"

"I didn't even know that it was a competition until I felt a fiery glare burning the side of my face" he scowls at the fries like they are his enemy. "She has always been competitive"
"So have I but I'm not a bitch" he grumbles out and I flick him the ear, hard.
"Ow!"
"She's not a bitch" he rubs his ear with pained expression. "And even if she was, she's my family and I don't let anyone talk about my family like that" Lu's face changes in understanding.

"Sorry" he sincerely apologises and I nod in acceptance. "Finish the fries because like I was originally going to say, if you want to keep that mind sharp you need to be focusing on the work not your hungry stomach" i lecture with a small grin when he begins to eat after a reluctant second.

"I don't think your sister would like you helping me to beat her" she doesn't like anything I do nowadays. "Oh I'm not helping you, just making it a fair fight, levelling the playing fields. Besides the fries are about the only good thing you can buy here and should not go to waste" he chortles and I lean my head back to stare up at the sky.

The last couple days have been peaceful, the guys won another game on Friday and they celebrated at an after party while I stayed home with Gracie. Luis also freaked out on me that day, when he saw my face and even threatened to call the police, but he's since calmed down after a thorough explanation that was complete lies.

On Saturday I took Ava down to the beach to talk, it was enlightening and well overdue,
"What's been going on? You haven't been the same since the conversation about Lydia" my toes dug into the soft sand as I watched my sister who cast her gaze to the lapping waves.

"I wish she was here. I wish we were enough to make her stay" The heartbreak in her eyes causes a crack to split my own heart right in half. "I honestly don't know why she left Ava, but I can tell you with every ounce of honesty that it has nothing to do with you not being enough" i wrap an arm over her shoulders and she slumps into my side.

"You and Gracie could not achieve any more perfection because there is no such thing. You being you is enough to make anyone worthy stay and if it's not then that isn't your problem, it's theirs. Because they are missing out on being apart of two amazing lives that I know will be filled with so much love and laughter" I sigh, hearing her sniffle.

"You are more than enough, even if others can't see it, and you should never let any one take that away from you" we spent hours at the beach after that, talking through everything else on her mind over ice cream and the sound of waves crashing at our feet. She apologised for the comments she had made which was unnecessary as she simply voiced opinions I had thought about myself. However, now we are back on good terms and her mood swings are no longer vicious but simply teenage emotions.