Dangerous driving

Iris:

It's the 4th of January which means it's been less a month since I had that panic attack and Elias took me home. Nothing got better after that day, in fact it all got worse. Richard has started to use his belt and he even acquired a pair of brass knuckles to intensify the damage his punches make. He used both instruments of torture on me last night and I literally bit into my arm to keep my screams quiet from the girls.

Yet I'm still at school today, looking and feeling the worst I have in my entire life. I head straight for miss young's office when the bell rings announcing lunch and she says nothing as I lay on my stomach and plug my airpods into my ears. I close my eyes but I don't sleep. I can't. The only way I can is by dosing myself up with painkillers or some pills that put you straight to sleep. I have neither of them right now so I settle for blasting some music and pretending to rest.

The time slips past me as I hide in my own imagination where no one can reach me. I'm so lost that I don't hear her calls for me or the bell ringing that signifies for me to get back to class, I block out the world until a hand presses over the open wounds on my back and my eyes shoot open. I bite my fist to control the scream that threatens to spill from my lips.

I rip my airpods out in time to hear her say,
"Iris are you alright?" Her face portrays her concern and my own winces in pain. "I'm fine"
I say through gritted teeth. "Do I need to leave?" Miss nods while still consumed with perturbation. "I'll see you tomorrow then"
"Wait Iris are you sure you're fine" I continue to the door as she asks but stop to give her a forced smile over my shoulder before truly leaving.
"I'm good" I slip out of the doorway that she hangs in the middle of as I make my exit.

I walk ridiculously slow to avoid going to lesson and I even debate going for a smoke instead but that idea is throw out of the window when I hear sobs and sniffles coming from the girls toilets. These ones are used mostly by sophomores and i debate just walking away but as usual my instincts kick in and I decide to investigate.

Gently pushing the door open I look inside the cubicles that are mostly vacant until I reach the second to last one. I listen for a second to soft whimpers and cries before I knock on the door.
"Are you okay?" As soon as my presence is made clear whoever is in their tries to muffle the sound of their pain or sadness. Possibly both.

"Hello?" I call out after a minute goes by of no answer. They don't speak so I respect their privacy and turn to leave but before I can take a step forward the door flings open and I'm tackled in a bear hug. "Woah" I gasp, my teeth crunching together in agony. I really wish people would stop touching my back.

Glancing down, I do a double take when I recognise that bright blonde hair.
"Gracie?" She only cries harder in response to me recognising her and I'm immediately burning with anger. Who the fuck made my sister cry?
"What happened?" I rub her back to soothe her but it takes a good ten minutes before she's able look up at me and speak.

As soon as she does her bleeding nose is revealed and I nearly break my phone in two as I squeeze it so tightly in my fist. "Some g-girls corn-nered
me and-d she she threw my books and then she" I hush her. "It's okay take your time" my thumbs swipe at her tears as i hold her face in my palms.
"She threw my history book at me and it hit my nose. It hurts Iris, it really hurts" she cries even more and I move her face side to side gently.

"I know baby, i know. I don't think it's broken, only bleeding. You'll be okay I promise" I cradle her head into my chest again and she sobs into my hoodie. I will kill whoever that girl is.
"But Ava and Katy, they scared them off" thank god my other twin was there. I'll have to get the name of the girl off of them before we leave school. "I'll have to thank them later, for now let's get you cleaned up" I move us over to the sinks and grab some tissues that I dampen under water.