A Pitch Black World

It had been some time since the teens had returned from their trip. Yuki was frequently busy with the student council, and Tohru had spent sometime hanging out and getting to know Rin. She found herself longing for company, but didn't want to be a bother to anyone. They were all busy in some sort of way.

She sunk down into her warm bath, her long locks of soft blonde hair floated around her. Katsumi tilted her head back, staring blankly up at the ceiling. Lately, she had this uncomfortable feeling she couldn't rid herself from. It was like an itch she couldn't scratch. She couldn't put a finger on this feeling, but all she knew was that change was coming. Something astronomical, something life changing. However, she couldn't figure out what. Katsumi sighed, and dunked her head under the water. She could hear the soft beating of her heart echo through the water.

- - -

For as long as she can remember, she was always by Akito's side.

Dressed in a soft pink kimono, she knelt beside Yuki who closest to Akito. The young God was lying on his stomach flipping through a book. They were young, still just innocent children.

"Hey, did you know the rat was the first among all the zodiac animals? That means the rat is closer to God than all the others are. And that out of all of them, you're the one who's most similar to me. You're special, just like I am."

Back then, Akito favoured Yuki over her. She used to crave that attention from their God, she wanted someone to think she was special. The servants, the parents, everyone made a big deal over the bond between the young boys. They often discouraged Katsumi from interrupting the two from their engagements.

She spent all day, everyday inside waiting on Akito. The captive audience of zero, he was busy being obsessed with Yuki. As young as she was at the time, she didn't think to question anything, let alone object Akito's orders.

She came in carrying two steaming hot cups of green tea, only to let them crash to the ground as Yuki fell into a coughing fit. Katsumi fell down to her next to him, her small trembling hands gripping his shoulders.

"Shut up already," Akito snapped. "I hate your stupid cough, it's annoying!" Katsumi and Yuki shared a startled look, before turning back to look at their God with hurt and confusion worn on their faces.

Akito had tantrums, but they weren't like they are now. In fact, she remembered tears along with the screaming. It wasn't unusual to catch sight of Shigure comforting Akito. She didn't understand the sadness, or the frustration. Then one day, it got much worse. Akito's mind... Slipped over the edge.

She stood next to Yuki, her hands wringing together nervously as they watched Akito paint jet black ink against the shoji doors. Yuki grabbed her arm, watching with morbid curiosity at the breakdown the young Akito was having.

"This world... My world is pitch black. That's why I'm doing this, I need to make the room match. Make it dark too." Katsumi relaxed her hands, reaching out to the young God with her arms out stretched.

"Akito?"

"You're next, Yuki. You need to be pitch black like me. We've always been the same, and that can't change now. So, you have to become part of the darkness, its not fair if we're not the same!" His hand stilled, but his mind was still whirling. Katsumi placed her shaking hands on his shoulders,

"No wait, that's wrong. We're nothing alike, we can't be. Because I'm not useless."

"Useless?" Yuki questioned.

"Everyone needs me, I'm the chosen one. I'm here because all of you need me!" The ink dropped to the ground, and seeped deep into the tatami. "How could I ever think we were alike? You, you and Katsumi were just toys I could play with. Don't you see? Your mother gave you to me." Akito cackles, his eyes wide with hysterics.