How Do You Just Stop Talking?

Katsumi stumbled from Aktio's house, her arm wrapped in white bandages and blood seeping from a fresh cut on her cheek. She was about an hour or so late to school. Thanks to Akito's beatings, her ribs ached and her head throbbed. Letting out a tired sigh, she dabs a wet cloth to her bloody cheek. Her body swayed, a spur of dizziness spinning the world around her. She stumbles to the side, losing her balance. Katsumi drops to her knees, letting herself sink to the ground in despair. Silent sobs wracked her body, shooting violent pain through her ribs.

"Kat...Sumi?" She froze, quickly wiping the tears from her face. Katsumi stands to her feet, ignoring the woozy sensation that made her head spin. She fakes a bright smile, waving at her cousin Shigure.

"My dear! What happened to you?" He cries taking her face gently between his hands, and inspecting her closely. She looks away from him, feeling ashamed, and disgusted that she had let herself be caught in such a weak state.

"Did he do this to you?" Shigure asks, his voice deepening with concern. She swallows hard, wringing her hands together tightly. Akito was the one who beat her, but technically it was her doing that brought this on.

"Katsumi, answer me." Her cousin chided, giving her shoulders a light shake. She nods, tears forming in her eyes. Shigure sighs in frustration, making her flinch. She had done it again, she had done something bad. Katsumi yet again, had burdened someone with her problems.

"Come with me," he tells her, leading Katsumi to Akito's porch and sitting her down.

"Stay here," her cousin tells her, and disappears inside. Minutes ticked by, and Katsumi could feel the anxiety welding in her chest. She used the sleeve of her school uniform to wipe the blood from her cheek, leaving a dark red stain on the light blue sweater. More time passed by, and Shigure had not yet come to retrieve her- whether he had abandoned her on the porch, or was still talking with Akito she did not know. She began to grow tired, her body becoming weak from fighting against all the pain. With no will to continue the fight of the ever growing fatigue, Katsumi closed her eyes allowing sleep to take over.

🌼 ~ 🐀 ~ 🌸 ~ 🐇 ~ 🌺 ~ 🐈 ~ 🌻 ~ 🍙

Katsumi felt something warm press against her cheek, startling her awake. She sat up quickly, backing away from the heat source. Her ribs protesting against the sudden movement, searing pain knocked the wind from her lungs. She stopped, panic rising in her chest when she suddenly noticed that she no longer at the Sohma Estate, but rather in a unfamiliar home.

"Katsumi, it's alright, you're safe." Katsumi paused, hearing the soft familiar voice of her cousin Yuki. It brought her momentary comfort, before remembering that he had left her to fend alone against Akito's ever growing violence. Confusion washed over her, as she gathered her barrings, glancing around what appeared to be a living room. The door slid open, revealing her cousins Shigure, and Kyo but also a strange, yet beautiful girl.

"Ah, I see sleeping beauty has awakened!" Shigure cheered, coming to sit next to her. Katsumi tilted her head to the side, unsure of the scenario playing out before her.

"Are you in pain anywhere?" Yuki asks, almost frantically, kneeling in front of her to change the gauze applied to her cheek. She shies away from his hands, pushing herself backwards until her back was pressed against the wall. She curled into a ball, quivering in fear.

"Katsumi?" He questions, last he had seen her- the two cousins were quite close, both sharing the pain, and haunting memories of Akito. Yuki pulls his hand back, his heart sinking from her action, he was confused. Did she no longer trust him, had he done something to upset her?

"Hatori said you have three broken ribs, a sprained wrist, and have obtained quite a few bruises, but the cut on you cheek isn't too bad. It'll take a while to heal, unfortunately, but, you will be okay." Yuki continued, hoping this time he would receive a response from her.