7- Blood and Tears

Nova stares at the car window, the trees zooming by. She and the boys were in Stiles's jeep. This time, Nova was in the back. Her headphones were in, listening to music. Her phone buzzes and she checks her phone seeing a text from Isaac. The message said "Hey" Nova frowns, not knowing what to say. She responds with a quick hello.

"I wanted to apologize, for what I did earlier."

Nova stares at her phone, quickly responding to the text. "It's fine, just make sure it doesn't happen again."

Nova didn't know why she was so upset over him. He only moved her hair, why was she upset? If only she could find out. She couldn't. She had no idea what she was feeling. Mostly weirded out that someone potentially liked her. Especially Isaac.

They begin texting more, making more conversation as Stiles drives. Nova had no idea where he was driving.

Eventually, the jeep stops. They were at an old building. Nova pulls out her earbuds and stops her music. "Where are we?"

"We're at Derek's," Scott states. Nova's eyebrows furrow. She shrugs getting out of the car and follows the pair.

They walk into an open room spotting two men. They turn around and Nova examines them. Nova waves at them. She links her arms to Stiles. "Who are those two?" Nova asks gesturing to a beefy man and a strange man standing behind him.

Scott looks at his sister pointing to each one as he introduces them. "I'm Nova. I'm Scott's little sister."

"You're a vampire," Derek states.

Nova straightens her shoulders, nodding. "How'd you know that?"

Derek glances at someone standing in the darkness. Nova follows his eyes. The man was leaning on a pillar with his arms crossed. He steps into the moonlight shining in from the big window. "Hey," Isaac grins.

Nova fakes a smile, waving at him. Her arm tenses reaching for Stiles' bicep while still being linked. Stiles notices her nervousness and grabs her hand with his free hand. He caresses her hand, gently and runs small circles into it. Nova takes a deep breath, attempting to calm down. "So, why are we here, Scott?"

"To hang out, I don't know."

"You came to hang out with us? Why do you want to hang out, Scott?" Derek sasses.

Nova glares at the man. Greyish-red cradles her veins around her eyes, her eyes going bloodshot. "You need to dial your sass down before I fix it, Derk the Jerk." Derek studies the girl, sizing her up. His shoulders drop as breath enters his lungs.

Stiles grins at her words trying to contain his laughter. Derek takes a step towards Stiles and Nova stops him by shielding him. "You really wanna try something with a vamp here? I'll suck your blood dry and tear your eyes out and carry them like a charm."

Derek grins at her threat. "I was right, She does have some feistiness in her."

"Oh, so you want to talk about me? Do you want to see how feisty I can get?" Nova asks taking a step closer. Stiles pulls her back, his hands finding her waist.

"No fighting. Just hanging out." Scott demands. Nova rolls her eyes, She glares at him, her veiny vamp eyes shining brighter before fading into her normal eyes.

The room calms down and Nova sits away from the group watching everyone interact. She was sitting on the stairs. Isaac sits next to her and nudges her shoulder. "You okay?"

"Do I smell okay?" Nova questions.

"No."

"Okay, then." Nova stands up and walks out the door behind her. Nova pulls out her black water container out of her bag. Her container was filled with blood. Before she went to school this morning she had collected some blood so she could keep hydrated. Nova sits down next to the entrance, her back sliding down the wall.

"Does that have blood in it?" Stiles asks her leaning on the door frame. She nods, grinning. "And before you ask, it's kinda... obvious." he gestures to her fangs that were out.

"Sorry, I kinda get overwhelmed when I taste it." Her hand reaches for her and pulls it behind her ear.

Stiles shakes his head. "Don't be, it's your instincts." He pauses before continuing. "And not when you smell it?"

"Only taste." He nods slowly. His knees pull into his chest and he grabs his hands, clasping them together.

"Have you- Have you ever thought about tasting mine?"

Nova's eyes widen at his... question. Suggestion? No, 'definitely' is a question. What kind of question is that? Nova never once thought about that. She couldn't bring herself to even feed on a human. Even if it makes her stronger. Nova's head shakes frantically. Her hands go into her hair, her head pulling into her legs. Shuffling was heard near her as she felt his body go against hers. "I'm-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked that."

"You're okay. You were just curious," Nova mumbles. She peeks her eyes from behind her forearms staring at him. "No, I haven't. I haven't had a drop of human blood since I was 13."

"Why not?"

"I killed my stepmom. She killed my girlfriend at the time. She didn't like how I liked women."

Nova turns to him, looking at him. Stile's eyes were wide, his mouth hanging open. "Wow, you like girls?"

"That's all you took out of that" Nova laughs. Her eyes catch his eyes and he chuckles with realization.

"I didn't mean it like that... I was shocked." He giggles for a bit. Nova found that adorable when he'd do that. Just... be him. Moments of silence go by before the smile wipes from his face. "So, how did it go down?"

Nova stares at his face, admiring him for a bit. "I'll simplify it for you. My step-mom was human," She pauses. "I wasn't allowed to have this," she gestured to both of them. "To have friends. I wasn't allowed to go out and see the world. The only thing I was allowed to do- Was go to school. Keep my head down. And do my schoolwork. And when I got home? I leave. I go and find disgusting people and lure them home, just so the nest can eat. That was it. School and luring humans. Not until I met her. My Sylvia. I thought we'd be with each other forever. She knew what I was and she accepted me. Then the nest found out, and told John." Nova shakes with anger while speaking. Stiles listens. He reaches for her hand and caresses it, rubbing circles into her hand once more. She gulps. "John held Sylvia down." She looks up to Stiles, tears running down her cheeks. Stiles had a face that read sympathy all over. "She killed Sylvia. Stabbed her. I got so angry," she smiles in anger. "I sucked her dry," admits Nova.

Tears began to stream down Nova's face. Stiles cradles her face, his hands warm against her wet face. "Look at me. Look at me, Nova. It's okay. You're not there anymore. You're right here with me. Stiles, a human." Nova nods, tears still streaming. Stiles leans in and kisses her forehead. She leans into it.

"Thank you," Nova sniffles.

He nods. "Always."

Started: 9/15/23
Finished: 9/15/23
Last Edited: 12/11/23
Published: 9/15/23
Word Count: 1242