Kabanata 31

Kabanata 31

Wrecked

"KV Ocean, one of the largest research vessel is still missing a week within the Indian Ocean from trying to outrun a heavy storm. Thirty-nine researchers, and twenty-five ship crews are safely transferred to the nearest cruise ship that they asked for assistance, the 'Sky of the Seas'. Survivors are safely back on land, at the Manila Harbour. The KV Ocean's captain, Captain Daumier Cavanaugh along with his officers and other ship crews were left in the research vessel. There's no trace and the vessel can not be tracked anymore. International coast guards and navies are taking all day operation in finding them within the sea area of the Indian Ocean where the research vessel have last seen. . ."

Pababa pa lamang ako ng hagdan galing sa ikalawang palapag kung nasaan ang silid ko ay iyon na agad ang bumungad sa akin. Ingay mula sa telebisyon na nanggagaling sa malawak na living area ng bahay ni Dad dito sa sentro ng Maynila.

A week. I arrived here yesterday. The cruise ship have docked at the Port of Manila.

"Turn it off," tiim bagang kong utos sa isang dalagang katulong nang nakababa ako.

She obeyed, took the remote, turned it off, and left with her head down.

Manang Sonya was also here. She watched the news.

I could not really differentiate her appearance the last time I saw her before and right now, she aged a bit. No, she was already old, I do not think that she changed that much.

Her size, maybe? Because of the medicines and vitamins she had taken for months? She gained some fats, and in my eyes, she grew inches shorter? Or is it just my vision that was seeing things differently?

Tumayo si Manang Sonya mula sa pagkakaupo sa sofa, at lumapit sa akin. "Hija, gusto ka sanang makausap ng mga Cavanaugh."

I was stunned, and my jaw clenched when memories formed like hurricane in my mind.

Why, in most situations, his parents would like to talk to me whenever something bad happens? Just like before. I do not want that.

Parang ako ang rason lagi kung bakit napapahamak ang kanilang anak.

"Manang Sonya. . . hindi ko alam kung ano ang sasabihin ko sa kanila."

"Isang linggo na ang nakalipas simula noong nangyari ang trahediya, hija. Gustong marinig ng mga Cavanaugh ang salita mo tungkol sa mga nangyari dahil ang sabi ng ibang nakaligtas ay ikaw daw 'yong huling kasama ng Kapitan," the worry was etched on her aged soft expression, and also clinging in her voice.

"Bukas na, Manang Sonya. May pupuntahan ako," humigpit ang hawak ko sa strap ng itim na back pack.

She scanned my whole body, from the clothes that I was wearing then to the backpack hanging at my right shoulder. "Huwag mo'ng sabihin sa akin, hija? Na sasama ka na naman sa mga coastguard? Pinayagan ka ba ng Dad mo?"

I have already talked about this to Dad the moment I stepped on the Philippine ground. Sinundo kasi ako ni Dad sa daungan at iyon agad ang sinabi ko sa kaniya.

Na sasama ako sa mga coastguard, sasali ako sa operasyon ng paghahanap. I would use my titles just to get permitted. That I knew much more about the ocean than what they know. They would not let me join if I was not a trained coastguard.

"Gusto kong tumulong sa paghahanap," I stated nonchalantly. Wearing my usual neutral expression.

Napabuntong hininga ang matanda sa akin. Hindi malaman kung ano ang gagawin.

"Kailangan mo'ng magpahinga, hija. Isipin mo naman ang sarili mo. Umaalis ka na lang na hindi nag-uumagahan, tapos hindi ko pa alam kung kumakain ka ba ng tanghalian doon, at alam kong pag-uwi mo naman dito ay didiretso ka na kaagad sa silid mo," lubos ang pag-aalala nito.