Kabanata 42

Kabanata 42

Resurfaced

"We will stop here, this specific area in West Philippine Sea, the next day," anunsiyo ng Project Manager habang may tinuturo sa malaking screen sa harap. May mapa kung saan makikita ang rota ng barko.

Sobrang pagpipigil ang ginawa ko rito sa kalagitnaan ng meeting. I don't want to yawn whilst the Project Manager is discussing the plan. That's such a disrespect. But what about me? I was so sleepy. Kahit maaga naman akong natulog. How come that eight hours of sleep isn't enough for me now?

At this hour of the day, all I craved to do was go to bed. Feel the softness of the pillows beneath my head, the warm comfort of the blanket, and the smoothness of the bed.

My mind was preoccupied of imagining myself going to sleep. I can't focus. I can't catch up to whatever the Project Manager was broaching in front.

"It's been months since the last time our technical divers and divers had their deep dive," the Project Manager formally said in his full voice. "This is just going to be a warm up. We won't be diving that deep. No underwater excavation since we're still far from the Caribbean Sea. It will take us a month or more before reaching it. Just scuba diving for the next day."

"Oh, that's great! I've missed diving so much! My legs are aching to fin up!" someone's remarks.

"There will be cameras to film the dive for documentary. Dive your best. People will watch you," the Project Manager then set his eyes on us. "Especially, these three."

Doon na lamang ako nabuhayan ng kaluluwa nang may rumihestro sa isip ko ang kanilang pinag-uusapan.

We're going for a dive? The next day? Wait. Am I allowed? No, of course I'm allowed for them.

But for the baby? Is it okay to do scuba diving during pregnancy? Is it safe?

I forgot to research about that. Kahapon kasi, matapos kong malaman na nagdadalang tao na ako ay idinaan ko na lamang sa mahimbing na tulog ang lahat.

Hindi pa ako nakapagdesisyon. Ayaw gumana ng isip ko. Gusto ko lang ay matulog.

"Kaleidoscope? You alright?" Aleshien asked after the Project Manager announced the dismissal of the meeting.

"Yeah," wala sa sariling sagot ko habang nakatanaw sa dagat mula sa bilugang bintana ng barko.

I stood up as everyone else did. Some have already left the room.

"Are you dizzy?" she was really worried.

Umiling ako. "Nah."

Medyo nahihilo pa rin naman ako pero hindi n'ya na kailangang malaman iyon.

"Were you crying?" she gently grabbed my arm that made me face her.

"No," may diin sa salita ko.

Sinagot n'ya ako ng tango at sumabay sa akin sa paglalakad palabas.

Nakabuntot sa akin si Aleshien habang iniisip ko kung may gagawin pa ba'ng trabaho ngayong araw maliban sa meeting. Kung wala ay didiretso na ako kaagad sa cabin ko nang makatulog na ulit.

I always felt sleepy. Is it because I've been crying for days since I left him? Kaya bumabawi ang mga mata ko sa pagpapahinga?

"Aren't you excited for the Project Caribbean? What if I'll find Jack Sparrow's ship? And I'll find his remains!" imahenasiyon ni Aleshien.

"Jack Sparrow is a fictional character," I seriously stated.

"Or someone's remains, a pirate like him! Haven't you heard about the Caribbean's history?" the excitement gushed out from her tone. "The Caribbean's Golden Age of Piracy! Kaleidoscope! Didn't you have any childhood beliefs? I almost believed that mermaids were true!"