Kabanata 38

Kabanata 38

Cruise

"Oh, Captain Cavanaugh," Ms. Guillera greeted him with a seductive yet mocking smirk formed on her full red lips.

Daumier did not pay any attention to her.

He directed his darkening cold eyes to me. "Kaleidoscope, what is this woman doing here?"

Umatras ako upang mas mapalayo ang sarili mula kay Ms. Guillera nang nakita ko ang pagdaan ng pinaghalong galit, duda, at selos a malamig na mga mata ni Daumier.

Pati ang pakikitungo nito ay sobrang lamig at tigas. Hindi ko ito halos makilala dahil sa kaniyang pagbabago. He was usually soft-spoken towards me.

Tonight was different. His baritone voice was hardened yet low. Parang kinokontrol nito ang sariling mapanatiling kalmado ang pagkakasabi sa bawat salita. He was the kind of man who disliked to raise their voice at their woman.

"I'm just here for a little chat with Kaleidoscope. Is there something wrong with that?" mataray na sabi ni Ms. Guillera.

Hindi naman s'ya pinansin ni Daumier na nasa akin nakatitig. Naghihintay sa sagot ko.

"Umalis ka na muna, Marie," I was covering up the nervousness I felt by shoving away the woman with my words.

Marahan ang pagkakasabi ko roon. Nang sa gano'n ay susundin ako nito. It was effective though.

"Ahm. . . okay, when are we going to talk again?"

"I don't know. Just leave for now."

She shrugged her small shoulders. "Alright. See you in the office, love!"

Natutop ko ang bibig dahil sa tinawag nito sa akin.

Tang ina. Baka lalo akong pagdudahan ni Daumier dahil doon. Ayaw ko ng gulo.

Pinanood ko ang pag-alis ni Ms. Guillera. Nilagpasan pa nito si Daumier. She rolled her eyes at him before continuing to walk and leave.

On the other hand, Daumier had never torn his eyes away from me. He was discerning me. Observing me how I treated the woman.

This side of him was giving me goosebumps. I was becoming edgy. Uneasy from the way he sharply examined me. It was as if he was judging me.

I was having heebie-jeebies in my mind. Why am I sweating cold? I did not do anything wrong. I have to act normal, not that I was guilty.

He was really intimidating at the moment. I tried not to flinch from his stern gaze and austere demeanor.

When the corridor was clear, and Ms. Guillera was out of sight and earshot. Daumier spoke.

"Marie? What the f*ck does that mean, Kaleidoscope? What is this again?"

Ramdam ko ang matinding galit nito, pero kahit gano'n ay napanatili nitong mababa ang tono. Parang normal lang na nakikipag-usap sa akin at kalmado.

"I called her by her name because I know that she'll follow what I say if I do," I inhaled. "Mag-usap tayo sa loob."

A muscle in his sharp jaw twitched. "No, what's the kiss for? I saw you kissed her. F*ck. What's happening, baby? Why did you do that, huh? You like her?"

"Hindi ko s'ya hinalikan, Daumier," I put on a blank expression.

I have to be composed because I have nothing to be bothered about. Wala akong ginawang mali kasama ang babaeng iyon. Malinis ang konsensya ko.

"Ano 'yon? You even pinned her against the door like how you did it with me back in our cabin in the
Research Vessel," his laryngeal prominence bobbed. Indicating his outrage.