Kabanata 37

Kabanata 37

Kiss

"Dad, can I talk to my cousin privately?" I asked whilst he was busy having an important business call.

Sumulyap ako kung saan kasalukuyang pababa si Daumier sa engrandeng hagdanan.

I saw his face twisted into a scowl. Obviously, he heard what I said.

May pinindot si Dad sa kaniyang phone screen at inilayo saglit ang kaniyang cellphone mula sa kaniyang tainga bago ako sinagot.

"Yes, I'll be waiting outside."

A day after the results were announced, Daumier and I have never talked to each other. We slept in separate rooms. They let me stay in Daumier's room and Daumier used one of their guestroom for the meantime.

Not even the shortest word, we were both silent. No chats, calls, or text. He did not try to reach me out after the results were said. The only communication I had with him was his cold glances at me, enrooted with great detachment and disinterest for me. But with a flicker of misanthrope every time his eyes would land to others in here.

At first, I was hurt by his sudden changes. Eventually, I realized what he was trying to do.

I did not react to it. I waited, and acted my part. I did the same. Looking at him in horror as if his presence disgusted me.

Our parents caught our exchange of glance, and it seemed like they didn't have a problem with us. They bought it. It was evident on their expression that our response to the situation satisfied them, and that they did not have to do some efforts to tear us apart.

They thought so.

Sakong nakababa si Daumier ay lumabas si Dad dito sa bulwagan habang may kausap pa rin sa kaniyang cellphone.

Ginala ko ang paningin sa paligid at nang nakitang wala namang ibang tao rito na maaaring makakarinig sa pag-usapan namin ay nilapitan ko na s'ya.

"Daumier-"

"Cousin? Do you really believe that? That damn result is just a paper. Dahil ako, hindi. Hindi ako naniniwala," marahan nitong sabi sa mababang tono ng boses na siguradong ako lamang ang nakakarinig. "We're not cousins."

Tila nabunutan ako ng tinik sa naninikip kong dibdib dahil sa sinabi nito. Inakala ko kasi talaga na ayaw n'ya na.

Kaya ngayong binigyan ako ng pagkakataong makausap s'ya ay gusto kong makasiguro.

"Daumier. . . I was just pretending," I uttered softly in a hushed voice. I took a step near him with enough space between us. "Hindi rin ako naniniwala."

His dark eyes relaxed on my words. Kagaya ko ay parang nakahinga rin ito ng maluwag. Maybe he thought that I believed the results.

"Ano'ng pag-uusapan natin?" marahan nitong tanong.

"I thought that you're going to avoid me. To leave me. Narinig ko ang sinabi ni Dad sa'yo noon. He told you to leave me. Gusto kitang kausapin tungkol do'n," mas hininaan ko pa ang boses ko. Takot na baka ay may ibang makarinig. "Help me, please. Let's tell them to do another DNA test. Baka may error lang doon kaya gano'n iyong resulta."

"No, I'm not going to leave you. I was pretending too," his eyes turned gentle on me. Like the Daumier I used to know. "If they'll see us too attached, they'll separate us. I have to show them that I didn't care, Kaleidoscope."

I nodded at him, my body language telling him that I understand.

"Ano'ng gagawin natin?"

"Let's ignore each other in public. Mag-uusap tayo sa chat, text o tawag. Patago tayong magkikita."