Kabanata 44

Kabanata 44

Tide

I was so glad to know that Marie was excluded in this big project. Kaya pala hindi ko s'ya nakita rito sa barko. Hindi pala s'ya nakasama. That's better. She would not be able to meddle with my life.

This life of mine that was starting to get better after knowing that my biological father was still my Papa Fernan, and not Dad.

Noong mga panahong nagpa-DNA test pala sila ay Everardo Cavanaugh pa iyong pangalan ni Papa. Hindi pa pala napapalitan. Dad, the real Everardo Cavanaugh took advantage of it. Used it against us.

Kaia sent me a photo of the other test result. Where the name 'Fernan Gozon' was in it. It was Dad's name before.

Gozon was the family name of the mayordoma's husband. They say that the mayordoma's husband was wealthy, not until he died early. Iyong kaso nga lang ay hindi sang-ayon ang mga Gozon sa kanila dahil hindi naman galing sa mayamang pamilya iyong mayordoma. Kaya wala s'yang natanggap na kahit isang yaman mula sa mga Gozon nang nawala ang kaniyang asawa. They threw her away without knowing that she's carrying the Gozon heiress, and even blamed her of her husband's death.

Our last name should be 'Gozon'. Kung hindi lang pinilit ang 'Vargas'.

After this big project. I will acknowledge the Gozon and Vargas. Dad had an interview that was posted on a certain channel in YouTube, and he admitted everything. Telling the world that I was not his child. It gained millions of views because he's a Cavanaugh and some other popular surnames he mentioned.

On social media, they're already claiming Kaia and me, as their cousins, niece, and granddaughter. They're proud of having us as their relatives, and they tried to reach me through my social media accounts. But I was not in the mood to entertain any of them.

How could they not? Kaia is a professional skydiver and a flight attendant. International televisions would offer her million dollars just to have permission to take a shot of her every dive. As to me, I'm a technical scuba diver and a marine archeologist. The artefacts that I found and retrieved got the fame I never expected. Not just that, my name is in the world record.

Reality is, people only notice you when you reach success. So, appreciate those who were with you while you're still in process.

I cleared my thoughts when I took a step on the stairs that will lead me to the bridge of the research vessel.

Hindi naman nakasara ang pinto nang nakaakyat na ako. Nang tinignan ko ang loob ay bumungad sa akin ang matipunong nakatalikod na pigura ni Daumier.

Kausap n'ya ang isa sa kaniyang mga officer. Sa pagkakaalala ko ay si Bartolomeu iyon. Silang dalawa lamang ang narito.

"D-Daumier. . ."

Kung hindi ko ito tinawag ay hindi nila mapapansin na may ibang tao pa rito.

They turned to look my way when I entered the bridge.

Ang hirap. Pakiramdam ko ay mapapadaing ako sa sakit na nararamdaman dahil sa paraan ng pagtingin sa akin ni Daumier. He was sharply throwing a dark-cold look at me. As if he was warning me.

"Unauthorized people aren't allowed here," matalim n'yang sabi.

Nagpaalam si Bartolomeu na magpapahinga muna sa at-sea cabin. Tumango lang si Daumier at ni hindi ito tinignan.

I watched Bartolomeu went to a narrow corridor where the at-sea cabin was located. I've been there before. Hindi ko makakalimutan ang bahaging iyon ng barko.

"Y-You brought me here before," binalik ko ang tingin kay Daumier.

He was already looking at me. His dark-cold gaze was so piercing, cutting through my senses.