Chapter 6

1991

The first of September fell on a Sunday this year, and at eight in the evening, all the students from the second year and upwards were seated in their seats, on the only night that students sat at their respective tables in their homes.

The teachers were sitting at the big main table waiting for the selection to begin. Regulus was in his usual spot at the end of the table, closest to the Slytherin table, with Quirrell sitting next to him.

Hours ago he saw Quirrell and Hagrid answering the curiosity of the other teachers, so Regulus discovered that both had met Harry Potter, who had finally entered Hogwarts.

Regulus preferred to just wait and see with his own eyes, instead of getting attached to the image that others colored.

The last time he heard of Harry Potter was in 1983, when in a conversation Dumbledore said that the boy was safe with the boy's family. Regulus guessed it was on Lily's side, as there were no direct relatives of James alive.

Another person coming to Hogwarts is his nephew Draco, although he has a good relationship with Narcissa and even with Draco, Regulus knows what a father's influence is in the life of someone so young.

At least while the boy is at school, the boy could learn something besides the blind hatred of the different.

When the doors opened, Regulus' attention turned to the small mass of children entering the hall, while the choir sang the school anthem. Even after twenty years, his undivided attention becomes expendable.

So when the performance was over, he just applauded politely, his attention riveted on the students' fascinated faces. While things were being prepared for Sorting, McGonagall explained to the children.

Regulus found Draco easily, his blond locks standing out among the children. As well as the unruly curls on which he easily recognized Harry Potter, the boy is the spitting image of his father, almost like a perfect copy. But the differences were there for anyone who remembered the dead man. Her eyes were the biggest difference, emerald green instead of chocolate brown, Lily's eyes. Other than that, the boy looked very short, even compared to peers of the same age, there was a considerable height difference. And he looked shy, something Regulus in particular never saw in the boy's father. Some glasses were round while James's were more square, silly difference, but still there.

Regulus also caught a glimpse of the red locks of a boy with a round face and freckles.

Weasley he thought, the similarities there to compare with the other five who had gone before him Arthur Weasley couldn't just read books or anything else in his spare time.

Over the top of his head, he counted nearly forty students. People made their lives count during the war. He thought in front of the largest number of first years since he became a teacher.

"Hannah Abbott," Minerva called. And everyone shut up to listen to the selection.

A girl with a rosy face and blond pigtails stumbled out of line and sat down on the stool. McGonagall placed the old talking hat on her head.

"Hufflepuff," announced the hat after a moment of silence.

The hall erupted in applause and some students flinched from the rumble. The girl moved to the table on the right closest to the stool.

"Susan Bones!"

"Hufflepuff," the hat announced again, and Susan hurried out and went to sit beside Hannah.

Two Hufflepuffs in a row are two Galleons for Persie. Even three years since she left Hogwarts the two still talk regularly through letters. And the annual bet on the first years continues as usual; a galleon for every head entering your house, and fifteen more for whoever has the most fledglings.