Chapter 21

When he arrived at the castle only to be caught by Professor Black, who was standing near the doors of the great hall with an irritated expression, Harry thought things couldn't get worse.

He was wrong. And it wasn't even about the detention.

And a big part of that was having to put up with Lockhart.

The first time the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor intercepted him was when Harry and the other Gryffindor and Hufflepuff students were going to their joint Herbology class.

"Today's class will be in Greenhouse 3," Professor Sprout said.

This excited the students, as all the classes with the squat professor whose clothes were always dirty with soil had been in Greenhouse 1.

She dismissed them while Lockhart was talking to her near the greenhouses.

At first, Harry didn't care about the man's presence, even when his comment about teaching Professor Sprout how to take care of the Whomping Willow visibly annoyed the older witch with the colleague's presence. Harry ignored the man's presence, entering the greenhouse behind Hermione and Ron.

"Harry," the professor called out, "I'd like to have a word with you."

The dark-haired boy looked at the professor and then at the professor without understanding why.

"Would you mind if he's a few minutes late?" Lockhart said, and Professor Sprout was annoyed by this, "Great."

Lockhart closed the door in the Herbology professor's angry face.

Harry looked at the man with wide eyes behind his glasses, confused by his attitude.

"Harry, Harry, Harry," Lockhart said as he guided the boy to the side, "as soon as I heard what you went through, I couldn't help but blame myself."

Harry just stared at him, confused about what this man was talking about. About him not being able to get on the Hogwarts Express? It wasn't about his life with the Weasleys, nobody knew what he went through at home, and most seemed not to care. Unless he's talking about the troubles he got into with the Ministry thanks to Dobby.

"I've never been so shocked in my life," he continued, oblivious to Harry's confusion, "But as soon as I saw you arriving at Hogwarts in a flying car, I knew," the man shook his head as if he were sad, "you got a taste of popularity. Starring on the front page with me, and you can't wait for more."

"I didn't..."

"Harry, Harry, Harry," Lockhart said, holding him by the shoulders, "I understand you, kid. When you have a little taste once, you want more, I get it..."

Potter stopped paying attention to whatever the professor was saying, too shocked by someone thinking he wanted publicity and fame. And risking being expelled from Hogwarts and being unable to do magic like Hagrid, who would do such a thing?

Harry sees himself as just a kid learning about the world, but Lockhart's idea of him just seems silly.

As soon as he realized that the blond man had stopped talking, Harry quickly said goodbye to him and ran back to Herbology class.

The class itself was calm, they reported the Mandrakes. It wasn't really fun, but he learned about the properties of the strange noisy plant.

He shared a table with Hermione, Ron, and another Hufflepuff boy.

"Justin Finch-Fletchley," the boy introduced himself excitedly, extending his hand to Harry, "I know who you are, of course, the famous Harry Potter," the boy turned to the girl, "and you're Hermione Granger, always the first in everything."