Capítulo 29

"Are you all right, Black?"

Regulus looked away from the two boys dressed in Slytherin robes, he should have pressed for more details, but he was almost late, and even without catching the two boys, tonight would be bad enough.

They all look healthy and safe, so he decides to let it go for now. God knows he's been stressed these last few days because of all this Secret Chamber mess.

He'd love to lock himself in his room and sleep for two whole days, but one day - more than ten years ago - he said yes to the offer of working at Hogwarts as a potions teacher and principal of the Slytherin house. Around the same time he accepted his place among the Wizengamot as lord and head of House Black.

The regrets he had about his stupid youthful decisions.

"I need a drink," he replied. His head was already aching and he hadn't even arrived at the Ministry for the Christmas ball yet.

He sighed wearily and turned to Stevens. She was wearing a dark blue dress with a black cape over it, the darkest colors he'd seen her wear in months.

"I'm sure you'll be at the ball," she said, tilting her head to the side, her half-closed eyes appraising him.

"Well, come on," he offered her his arm, "I don't want Nott to drink all the good alcohol by himself."

She looked like she wanted to say something, but thought better of it and just accepted his arm.

Initially, Regulus was only going to the Wizengamot ball because he had avoided going for the last two years and he needed to do a bit of politicking. Even if it is a form of torture, considering that he will have to deal with his former sect mates, and they are all still as despicable as when they were young.

But now he'd have to try and get answers from Lucius without giving away that it was Draco who told him. Which, considering his particular choice to openly and publicly repudiate the Dark Lord and all his actions, made things more difficult, especially with that annoying blond.

At least it wasn't just going to be an endless bore. Stevens was going to the party with him only because they were leaving from the same place, Hogwarts. She, to her continuing misfortune, was on a semi-blind date with some acquaintance of her brother-in-law.

That would have been fun to watch, but now he has to subject himself to Malfoy's arrogant presence.

[...]

He tried, Regulus would say so until the last day of his life, he tried, but enduring Lucius' long monologues about his old-fashioned nonsense brought him very close to the edge.

Too close to punching or jinxing the idiot after yet another misogynistic comment about an Auror, who was in the group that went to Malfoy Manor on an investigation to seize objects of dark magic.

He and Narcisa were whining about being victims of the Ministry's unfounded persecution of them because as Malfoys they are a very wealthy and influential family and shouldn't be treated like that.

Regulus was never grateful for his mother's lessons - because she punished him whenever he failed at something - especially the ones about good manners and how to behave around other people, how not to let them know what you're thinking, all of which are bad memories from his childhood, but very useful nowadays.

In fact, even though he wishes he hadn't gone through any of it, all his mother's teachings saved him. All the stuff about being superior, about behaving in public, about controlling your expressions, and especially about Occlumency, in general, is what allowed him to survive Voldemort while he was one of his followers, and Dumbledore now.