Chapter 10

Regulus Black hates Halloween, and there is no shortage of reasons for his hatred of that day especially since he became a teacher, even more so when the Weasley twins together with their friends, or just the two of them, determined that Halloween is a free day for their pranks and chaos for school. No matter how hard the teachers tried to stop their plans, something always happens.

This year, however, Regulus expected a lot of things, with the philosopher's stone in the castle and the break-in at Gringotts, a fucking troll in the dungeons wasn't one of them. First, because trolls should never go near the school, however inept these creatures may be, they're still very dangerous for children, especially those who don't know how to do defensive spells. And he's not just on the school grounds, he's inside the castle. Well, Regulus knew beforehand that there was a troll in the castle, it is one of the traps and obstacles " whatever " to prevent anyone from reaching the philosopher's stone, and if that troll is in the corridors it means that someone managed to get him out of where he was.

Because of course, it had to be on Halloween that whoever it was was going to try to get that damn stone.

The day was as good as any Halloween and the weight of deaths that celebrate another year on that day. He started by listening to his classmates' conversation over breakfast, nothing interesting for the most part, except for Sprout praising Longbottom's knowledge of his subject. This didn't seem like such a big deal, but since the boy didn't seem to be doing well in any subjects so far, it was interesting to know.

During his class with Gryffindor and Slytherin, he watched his students make the potion he had taught them, so he decided to test the little cauldron-exploding boy's knowledge.

"The Undead Potion is a much stronger version of the potion you're brewing right now. Mr Longbottom, can you tell me which plant powder is added to Wormwood Infusion to make it?

Hermione Granger's hand flew up with an almost frightening speed as he finished his question. He noticed Potter and Weasley rolling their eyes at her, but his attention remained on the dark, round-cheeked boy.

Neville stared at him for a minute with wide eyes and red cheeks before snapping out of the apparent daze of shock he was in.

"Asphodel, Mister Black," he finally replied, barely above a murmur, half doubtfully.

Black smiled slightly at that, nodding his head before returning to walk across the room.

"Very well, five points to Gryffindor."

The remaining classes for his day went as smoothly as can be expected, he internally celebrated at the end of the day for not having the third-year Gryffindor class today, he doesn't want to be anywhere near the Weasley Twins. Just hearing what they've done is enough for him, poor Fitch " not so much" for having to clean up those two's mess.

Nothing exploded until dinnertime, a huge victory compared to past years.

Regulus sat near the end of the staff table, Quirrell's chair was empty, he noticed briefly before focusing on the students.

The richly decorated room, courtesy of Flitwick, seemed to delight the early years. Regulus wasn't going to admit it out loud anytime soon, but he loved seeing the delighted glint in the newbies' eyes, how everything seemed to get them excited, a whole new world opening up before their eyes, especially the muggle-borns and half-bloods who didn't grow up in the wizarding world.

The food spread like always being served to everyone, everything looked so normal. However, something would happen. You didn't even need to talk to Trelawney, the divination teacher, to predict this.

Professor Quirrell came running through the front doors, his purple turban awry on his head and terror etched on his pale face. Regulus got up before the man even reached the head table, nothing good could come of that appearance.