Chapter 7

When the party finally came to an end, Regulus let the Slytherins out before him, taking care to time their entrance into the common room until after the seventh-year prefects had given them their usual chat.

Regulus let the door to the common room open on his cue, dark robes shimmering behind him as he entered. The other year's classes had already gone to bed, having received this speech just as they were starting.

"They are all yours, Professor Black." Adonis Greengrass gave him a sharp nod.

"Thank you, Mr. Greengrass," he said, inclining his head. "I'll take it from here.

There were eleven first years in the 1991 vintage. Crabbe and Goyle, a classic pair. Davis, a half-blood with a defiant jaw. Greengrass, some sort of cousin to Adonis, who sided with Davis. Bulstrode, another half-blood" was a huge scandal for her family. Parkinson, who had a smirk on his face. Nott, a skinny boy with a skittish look in his eyes. Zabini, who stared at him coldly, unmoved.

And Draco Malfoy, his godson, had a proud smile on his face as he was flanked by Crabbe and Goyle. Regulus had worked hard to be present in Draco's life, carefully walking the line between not upsetting Lucius, who still seemed to be clinging to his beliefs and trying to steer Draco away from blood purism and Death Eater rhetoric. The boy had learned not to spit slurs in his presence, but he couldn't vouch for his behavior when he wasn't around to steady his tongue.

Not a success, certainly. But not a failure; not yet. He wouldn't give up on Draco - he wouldn't let him go down the same rotten path he had walked down, with no one caring or believing differently enough to show him a different path until finally he nearly died to escape it. Draco would have at least one alternative.

"Hello," he began, his voice soft and low. "I'm Professor Black and I'll be head of your house for the next seven years.

"You were sorted into the great Slytherin house." We are known for our cunning and ambition; I hope to see these traits demonstrated in all of you. You are the future of our house, do Slytherin proud. Stand out in class, take care of your housemates, and most of all, don't get caught.

He waited for a few seconds, letting them understand his words.

"You may have heard that since I took over from Professor Slughorn as Potions Master and Head of House, I've been taking Slytherin in a different direction." His eyes swept over them, gaze sharp. Slytherin gathers like a house in the common room. Sometimes I speak, and sometimes the monitors lead tutoring sessions; this differs from week to week. Unless you have a valid excuse, I hope you're there. Lastly," he said, trying not to let his eyes linger on Draco too long, "I hope you're on your best behavior with the other houses too," when some of them opened their mouths to protect, he added, "unless they antagonize you first. At this point, as I said earlier, don't get caught.

This seemed to ease some of the students' complaints.

"If I hear you slander and treat others with discriminatory disrespect, I will be very disappointed. Do you understand me?

"Yes, Professor," they agreed, although he noticed that some of them looked less than pleased.

- Good. Sleep well. See you on Friday for our first class together.

Regulus settled into his favorite armchair and folded his hands in his lap. His godson noticed, waiting until everyone had gone to bed and shooing his lackeys before approaching him.

"I trust you will be well prepared for class?" he asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Of course, Uncle Regulus," he replied, tilting his chin up.