Chapter 14

After Firenze left him with Hagrid, the four were finally dismissed back to their commons.

Neville left for his room as soon as they stepped into the common room, while Harry and Hermione noticed Ron sleeping in an armchair in the common room.

The red-haired boy babbled a little about Quidditch when Harry shook him awake.

The boy's sleep evaporated as the two others began to tell him what happened in the forest.

"You said that unicorn blood can keep people alive," Hermione says next to Ron on the sofa, "so is the Philosopher's Stone, remember, it can be used to make the elixir of life."

"That's why Voldemort is hunting here.

"Don't say that name," Ron whispered in alarm.

"Then he is trying to steal it. How would he do it from here?" Harry continued "Dumbledore would know"

"Yes, but what if he's you being helped by someone?

"Who?" Ron asked.

"I saw... the night I entered the restricted session," Harry began to comment, "Professors Quirrell and Black arguing."

"Well, the Blacks are a recognizably supportive family of You-Know-Who," Ron said, "but all my brothers say Professor Black is different from the rest. And that he has already publicly said that he is against him

"Professor Black has always been nice to everyone, and even punished the Slytherins for being mean and prejudiced," Hermione defended the man, "he doesn't act like someone who wants to kill everyone who isn't pure-blood."

"That's what my brothers say." Ron shrugged.

"There's another thing," Harry said, drawing their attention, "when Voldemort came to attack me...

"Stop saying that name," Ron whimpered.

"I felt a pain, it was like my scar was burning," Harry continued ignoring the redhead, "the last time I felt that pain was the first day here." When I was looking at Professor Quirrell.

"That man acts like a scared rat," Ron said in amazement. He picks up Scabbers who was sleeping on the cushion on the coffee table. Pulling up to him and looking into the animal's eyes—sorry Scabbers.

Hermione and Harry just stared at the scene for a minute before deciding to ignore it.

"That's exactly why no one would suspect him," Hermione said. "Dumbledore even asked Quirrell to help with the stone's wards."

"We have to speak with the Headmaster," Harry stated.

"We don't have any proof," Ron said, patting down his mouse, "he won't believe three kids without proof."

***

Regulus Black

"That's stupid," Goyle said quietly beside Draco.

Regulus was in the middle of explaining why wizards would never win a war against the Muggle world when he was interrupted by the boy. Like all first-year students, there are always those who have been indoctrinated too deeply into the thoroughbred mentality to think a little outside the known. This is why Regulus still holds this meeting, on this same subject every year, and he can add discoveries and new facts about the Muggle world each time, to try and demystify what was known about them, for those who were never present of a muggle.

With a greater number of students connected to the Dark Lord, and the children of the Death Eaters of their own time, these meetings were becoming more necessary.