Capítulo 39

Things unfolded quickly after the threat from the Secret Chamber, the children in general were still a little wary.

Regulus was in his empty classroom, adding ingredients to his cauldron when someone knocked on the door. He looked towards the entrance, it being the weekend he wasn't expecting visitors.

"Come in."

The door opened slowly, making Regulus' mind dismiss the presence of Stevens, McGonagall, and Sprout.

Longbottom's head finally appeared, the round-faced boy looking as shy and nervous as ever. He entered the room, his hands tugging at the sleeves of the blue and gray sweater he was wearing. Looking at the boy always reminded him of what his cousin had done, how easy it was for Bellatrix to destroy a family.

"Mr. Black."

"Hello, Mr. Longbottom," Regulus said in the calmest, gentlest tone without departing too much from his personality, "what can I do for you?"

He hesitated for a moment before finally looking at the teacher.

"I... I heard Professor Sprout telling Filch that you were making the potion to save Hermione and the others."

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing now."

The boy approached slowly, his eyes roaming over the table of ingredients.

"They're... they'll be fine, right?"

Regulus felt sympathy for the boy, if he stopped to think about what he'd been through, what he'd seen, the boy was only twelve. Like Harry, Neville was the victim of a prophecy and a cruel, power-hungry man.

He remembered overhearing Snape relaying part of the prophecy to Voldemort before Regulus left on his quest for the Horcrux in the locket. He didn't try to find out who the Chosen One's parent wizards were, he was too busy with his private mission, but he understood where the mistrust between the Potters and the Longbottoms came from, if looked at from above, any of them could be the people from the prophecy.

The Dark Lord decided to go to the Potters, Regulus wasn't sure if because he believed Harry was the Chosen One, or because he knew their location. Thanks to the betrayal of Sirius, the Potter's secret keeper.

The thought of Sirius betraying the person for whom he had exchanged his brother gave him a bitter taste whenever he thought about it. Even if some part of Regulus didn't believe in betrayal, that small part had no proof other than having grown up with Sirius.

But Sirius had changed, Regulus had changed, and for years they had barely spoken to each other, only exchanged crooked and aggressive words. They didn't know each other anymore.

Regulus lowered his gaze to the potion, suppressing a melancholy sigh, then looked again at the boy in front of him.

"Yes, Neville, they were fine."

The boy nodded with a little more confidence.

"Thank you, sir," he smiled and turned to leave.

Regulus smiled slightly at the boy. The boy has a very good heart for the world.

"Uh, Professor Black?" Neville turned before he reached the door, his nervousness returning "Do you need any help, sir?"

"It wouldn't hurt to have an extra pair of hands," Regulus agreed.

Neville might not be his best potions student, but he could listen to instructions better than half his year, so that was a plus. Regulus let him help ease the boy's worries, it would also help Longbottom learn new things, he was very curious despite his shyness.