Chapter 13

When at last they entered the forest, the night was getting colder with each passing hour. The breeze ruffled their hair as they followed the winding dirt path that snakes and disappeared through the trees.

After a few minutes, the biggest and almost only source of light is the lantern Hagridloaded on top. Even moonlight couldn't seep through the treetops enough to make any difference.

"Look over there, see the shiny thing on the floor?" Hagrid asks, pointing to the base of a tree, making the four students look at the spot. "Silver?" It's unicorn blood. There's one seriously injured by something. It's the second time this week. I found a dead one on Wednesday. Let's try to find the poor thing.

Hagrid means it seriously as if it's normal to say that to four kids in their first year at school. Harry was internally alarmed at the idea that something was hunting unicorns and now he had to look for it.

He glanced at Hermione, and the girl looked back. If he could guess what she was thinking, it would be something like: 

"Don't count on me again Hagrid". And as much as Harrylike of Hagrid, it was he who changed his life, and brought him out of the terror at the Dursley household, and he will be forever grateful for that.

But he never wanted to put his life on the line like that. It didn't take an adult to know that it's a terrible idea to go hunting something that is KILLING unicorns.

"What if the thing that hurt the unicorns finds us first?" Malfoy asked, unable to hide his fear.

Unfortunately, Harry sympathized with that, only once would he agree with Malfoy. Never again, never out loud.

"There isn't a creature alive in these woods that will hurt you if you're with me or Fang. And follow the trail. Alright, now let's split into two groups.

Hermione stared at Harry with wide eyes for a moment, Hagrid didn't notice as he continued to talk.

"And follow the trail in opposite directions. There's blood everywhere, he must have been staggering around since last night.

"I want Fang," said Malfoy hastily.

"Very well, but I'm going to you a warning, he's a coward. So me, Harry, and Hermione go this way" he pointed to one side "Draco, Neville, and Fang over there. Now if you find the unicorn, we shoot sparks green upwards. OK? If something goes wrong, shoot red sparks and we'll look for him. Let's go."

The groups split up.

For a few minutes of walking the three were silent, while tracking the blood.

"Do you think a werewolf did this?" Harry asked.

"Not so quickly, unicorns are very strong creatures, hurting and killing them is not easy."

They continued walking, following the path that zigzagged through the dirt path and the trees.Harry can hear the sound of running water from a nearby stream.

Hagrid grabbed Harry and Hermione by their robes, pulling them off the path and pushing them behind a tree into the darkness. The two could no longer see anything but the silhouette of Hagrid pulling an arrow, drawing the bow ready to shoot. They strained their ears, but all they could hear was the wind, until the sound of something slithering through the dead leaves nearby reached their ears, like a cape dragging across the ground.

They remained silent as Hagrid squinted to get a better look at the mysterious figure. It took several seconds for the noises to disappear.

"I knew it," the half-giant murmured. "Something's out of place."