𝐓𝐖𝐎

I pull on my sleeves and check my phone for the eighth time

I don't know how I'm supposed to tell my boyfriend that I'm going to marry another man. That we can't be together anymore.

I jerk backwards when I hear a loud notification come through my phone.

Maxim: I'll be there tomorrow. I love you.

I wash of guilt pours over me as I finish reading the sentence.

Maxim and I have been together for just over four years. A small crush on a guy at my university turned into so much more.

We had so many plans for the future. To get married and move somewhere less in the city and to have kids of our own.

And all of that is going to be crushed. All like this never happened. Like we never spent our night awake talking about how we'd live our lives. Like we never meant anything to one another.

I stare at the message for what seems like ages. Going over the words, underlining them, putting them in bold, remembering them. "I'll be there tomorrow. I love you."

Me: I love you.

I sob and allow the tears to flow and fall onto my phone screen.

Filled with despair, I fall onto my bed and allow sleep to slowly consume me.

✧✧✧

My leg bounces nervously under the table as I look back at the door waiting for him to walk into the coffee shop.

Maxim Enters after an old lady, smiles softly and takes a seat in front of me. "You okay?" He asks pulling out his phone.

I don't reply and watch as his face lights up while reading something on his phone.

I furrow my brows and clear my throat. "Maxim. I really need to talk to you."

He sets his phone down and stares up at me. Almost instantly, all the little confidence I had created for myself drops back to the floor.

"Angelina. Are you sure you're okay? You've said that all yesterday and then spaced out when I ask questions." Maxim voices.

I press my lips together and I avoid his eye contact. "Max i-"

"Lina?" Max lifts my chin with his two fingers. "What's wrong?"

I take a deep breath and stare into his eyes. "I'm getting married." I blurt out.

I watch as Max's face drops. He doesn't say a word. He just stares into my eyes looking for any kind of explanation or reasoning and shakes his head.