𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

I clench my teeth and look down at my lap once I finally take my seat

Just to my 'luck', Dominic sits right next to me facing his parents with My uncle at the head of the table and Vera and at the end next to me.

"I'm so glad you could make it tonight. I'm looking forward to this arrangement and what we could do for our business."

"Of course." Mr Volkov smiles. "I hear your niece over here has many talents. My wife loves her jewellery."

My uncle gives them a proud smile. "I'm pleased. She really is just like her mother would have wanted her to be."

I clench my jaw tightly at the mention of my mother. The nerve he had to speak of her in the presence of people to whom he was selling me off to for his business.

Uncle gives me a side glance but quickly shifts his gaze back to Mr Volkov.

The chefs enter the dining room and set the serving plates in the middle for everyone to help themselves.

My fingers don't move to grab anything. I just watch as everyone takes what they please. When Dominic notices I haven't picked up anything he nudges me.

"You aren't going to eat?" He asks, quiet enough for only the two of us to hear.

I look up to see my uncle and the Volkovs deep in conversation.

I clear my throat. "I've suddenly lost my appetite."

Dominic grabs my plate and puts whatever and then places it back in front of me. "I'm not happy either. Just eat. The longer you sit with a pout on your face, the longer this dinner will go."

I roll my eyes and stuff some stake in my mouth.

Mr Volkov laughs at something my uncle says. I don't quite hear, but I'm sure it was a stupid work joke he uses all the time at the business table.

I take Dominic's advice and eventually, their conversations a blocked from my ears.

✧✧✧

"Oh dear. Aren't you just beautiful?" Mrs Volkov gushes.

I smile softly. "Thank you, Mrs Volkov."

"Oh sweetheart, call me Irina. I don't think mom or mother is really appropriate as you've just met me. So I want you to feel comfortable."

I nod. She grabs my hand and pulls me in for a hug. "I promise you, everything will be fine. Arranged marriages are never easy. But I think you'll do amazing as Dom's wife. Even though that's not what the arrangement was originally about."

I take a long slow breath and look at her teary-eyed.

"Oh, darling." She wraps her arms around me once more and presses a kiss on my forehead. "I have to go now. I'll see you on Sunday. I'll call you. I have your number, okay?"

𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐞𝐬 On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara