Blowout with a mutt

I walked beside them, listening as they talked about school and the events going on. Though my mind trailed elsewhere, glancing around, expecting to see Hunter around any corner. I grunted and chuckled, almost robotically, simply responding to anything that seemed to require a response. I want to enjoy it, I want to pay attention to what they're saying, it all sounds like nonsense to my ears. Words of a different life, it wasn't that long ago, how much time has it been?

"Taylor!" Snapped a voice, making me jump, I swung my gaze to Juliette and Liam, they were staring at me.

"Uh, yeah?" I stammered, Juliette crossed her arms, pouting slightly.

"You aren't even listening. What's going on!? Why are you so on edge, and who the fuck beat you. I want you to talk to me, you used to tell me so much!" She exclaimed, I sighed, fixing up my scarf to cover a bit more of my bruised face. How many times have I been beaten and bruised? I know not every bruise is from the last beating, she'll probably flip out knowing I was beaten more than once.

"I'm sorry, I just can't talk about it" I stated, looking around a little.

"What are you looking for? Who are you so scared of? Who made you cry!?" Demanded Juliette, I'm a really bad actor. I stammered, what do I say in a situation like this? I can't tell the truth, it'll make her even more worried... I met Liam's steady gaze, tears threatening to fall from my eyes, I didn't want to let them be involved in the slightest.

"Maybe we should get going," Liam said, Juliette turned on him.

"Get going?! She obviously needs some help! She was caught in a trap, and now she's been hurt more" Juliette exclaimed, Liam sighed, shrugging.

"You want her to cry though?" Asked Liam.

"Oh yeah, you wanted to see the scar" I brought up, squatting and lifting my pant leg, quickly letting the outside fall back down to hide more bruises, the scar looking somehow uglier and more gruesome to my eyes.

"Must have hurt" Liam commented, I nodded.

"You're right Liam, we should get going" Juliette mumbled, I looked up and she turned her back to me, crossing her arms. Maybe if she's upset, she won't come back... More tears threatened to spill. Squatting here, on a path through the large park, trying hard not to cry. I hate making her upset.

"See you soon," Liam said, he patted my shoulder and they began to walk away, I released my pant leg and watched them, I felt frozen, why won't my body move? I tried to call out, my voice silenced in my throat. Tears trickled down my face, I've upset her, I've let her down, both of them...

I staggered to my feet and leaned against the overhanging tree, using the scarf to rub my eyes as I tried to gain control. Crying quietly, I'm the worst! I can't even be honest with my girlfriend and best friend, the two people I trust the most. I can't even contact Liam because he doesn't have a phone...

I sat down on a bench and rested my head in my hands. Cursing myself, hoping beyond hope that I haven't screwed up the few good things I have left.

I stayed there for a while, hoping my phone would vibrate and she'd tell me she was home safe. Maybe she'll even say that she wants to see me again. A figure stopped in front of me, I looked up, examining Kevin, he smiled softly and held out his bloodied hand.

"Come on, no need to cry all alone," he said, I frowned, standing up and examining him, not wanting to touch his hands.

"I'm used to it" I mumbled, he sighed and shoved his hand into his pocket.

"Let's head to the neutral zone. Trevor is uneasy when you're not around" Kevin mumbled.

"Uneasy?" I questioned, following behind Kevin, he hummed slightly.