Tortured screams

I opened the door, lifting the scarf a little more to hide my face, not looking at anyone. They probably heard a lot of it, I was so invested in talking with them, that I forgot this place has thin walls inside. I sat by the bench, Kevin setting down a plate in front of me. I examined the vegetables and pork medallions.

I ate slowly, listening to everyone else eat. Nick and Toby are eating on the couch, Daryl, Kevin and I, are eating at the bench, the clink of cutlery loud. I suppose they must sometimes eat together. I wonder where Hunter went? Will he be back to eat?

Someone took a deep breath I flinched as a hand touched my shoulder, my hat being lifted and scarf fixed up. Kevin pushed over a box of tissues as Daryl continued fussing over me, confusion and discomfort was all I could feel, I hesitantly grabbed a tissue and blew my nose, glancing at Daryl as he scrutinised me.

"Tomorrow I have a meeting, you'll be coming along. Be on your best behaviour" he stated, the firmness in his voice a stark difference from the way he gently pulled my hair from my face and examined the bruising.

"Someone's drinking a bit much." Nick huffed, he quietly took away my empty plate as he began to do the dishes.

"I should take her back to the place" sighed Daryl.

"You are not driving." Snapped Kevin.

"I can," Toby interjected. Daryl sighed.

"I'm not fucking drunk." Growled Daryl, glaring at everyone.

"I want to take her" Nick stated, he made eye contact with Daryl, who seemed to be fuming. "Is it wrong that I want to see where you're cooping up our precious errand girl?" Queried Nick, smirking to himself, he moved over, resting his wet hands on my shoulders. "Toby, you can show me where to go," Nick said.

"Uh, you cool with that Daryl?" Stammered Toby, a slight nervous look to him.

"How did Suzy know?" I quietly mumbled, Nick pulling me to my feet.

"She knows where everything is. The brat" chuckled Nick, he led me to the garage door, I glanced back at Daryl who was glowering angrily.

"Show him Toby." Daryl snapped, it felt like he was about to start spewing smoke out of his ears.

I looked through the garage, seeing a large SUV, high off the ground and built more for country driving than city. Nick ushered me softly to the passenger seat, grinning to himself like he's somehow won something. I tightened my seatbelt and watched him turn the car on, waiting for Toby to leave first.

"Can't believe Daryl. Trying to fix up how he's treated you, just because of the boss's decision of how having you can become legal-ish" muttered Nick.

"He is being weird" I quietly agreed.

"There's no need to be so scared kid, no one is allowed to harm you, you're under us now," he said, grabbing my hand and squeezing it, the car drove smoothly along, and quiet music played from the radio.

"If I become a useless asset, I'll be dead" I mumbled, staring out to the street lights, tears in my eyes.

"No. You won't die if you're unable to do errands. That's not fair to you, being forced into this, then worrying about dying if you can't keep doing it? Fuck that, you're young and innocent in all of this, Taylor, I think they've put some awful things in your head" grumbled Nick, shocked and annoyed.

"I won't be killed?" I quietly asked, he met my eyes for a brief moment before looking back to the road, my voice small and nervous.

"Of course not, I don't care if Daryl is using it to keep you in line, death is not something a girl like you should spend her days worrying about. I know Hunter tried to kill you twice, but don't let that make you think you deserve it" he grumbled. His grip on the wheel tightened.