Daryl's work ethic

A nurse and surgeon entered the room. They smiled at me and read my information. With quick glances to each other, they stepped besides my bed.

"How are you feeling Taylor?" Asked the surgeon, his smile was kind and voice soft. He dosen't sound like he'd inject something bad into me.

"A bit groggy" I admitted, he nodded and gently lifted the blanket, examining my ankle.

"We had to take some tissue from your opposite leg to help this one regenerate quicker, as the infection had caused some of your tissue to... I will use the word decay because I feel that is an easier way to understand, but don't worry, it's not dead in any way. The other leg has some small incisions that didn't even need stitching. Just some glue. Your main ankle though may never fully recover. You will have full use of it. It just may remain scarred and a bit weaker for a long time.

We have already discussed the procedure with... The other two and they are well aware of your state. If you need anything at all, please press that button to call a nurse and you will be given crutches to help you walk over the week you are staying under observation" explained the surgeon, I dumbly nodded along.

"Did you do anything else?" I nervously asked, they smiled and shook their heads.

"Nope, your leg didn't need any other care in surgery, please relax, and do your best to heal." Spoke the surgeon, he said his goodbyes and left, probably to speak to a different patient, the nurse placed some food on a little table and rolled it over the bed.

"Please just rest and eat, I will be back later, please call me if you need" she told me, walking away as well, a whole week? That's a relief.

I should have enjoyed the week more, all alone, just laying in bed and eating meals, no gang leaders or members, just rest. Yet as the sad truth of the world goes, the good goes by to fast leaving a bitterness over not enjoying it enough. I sat up in bed and stared out at the perfectly clean window, city life noisily existed outside. While I'm stuck in here knowing that either today or tomorrow I'll be dragged back out there.

"Good morning Taylor! We have a very special breakfast for you this morning" Exclaimed my nurse, she's the main one who comes to see me, her name's Sandy and she's super kind.

"Morning Sandy" I greeted, she placed my food tray onto the side table which swung over the bed so that I could eat without moving anywhere. I stared at the pancakes and apple juice, they really are giving me something special, though this could only mean it's my last meal here.

Or anywhere since I don't have much money, or a job.

I might just need to get meals from my bosses charity, it'll be strange to eat alongside the other homeless people who I previously gave food to thanks to donations. I slowly began to eat, Sandy left and I was only making myself feel depressed by planning my life as a homeless chick. A knock sounded at the door, I paused mid chew and gazed up at the door, it opened to reveal a far to familiar face.

"Been a while" commented Daryl, I stared down at my delightful pancakes and felt my gut twist.

"Hi" I muttered, I peeked up for a moment, he was leaning against the doorway and watching me, his cold eyes could be felt staring right through me.

"You ready to get to work?" He asked, I sighed and finally looked up at him properly.

"I have no choice do I" I muttered, he shrugged in response, my eyes began to water in defeat.

"Don't be so sad about it, what else will you do with your time?" He questioned, his voice didn't waver or change tone, it was just smooth, always so smooth.