Recovery and hope

5 months later

I waited outside the school gates, Liam leaning on the fence and grumbling bitterly as he stared at a letter. That's what he gets for swearing in class, the teacher wasn't very happy.

"Do you think they'll find it funny at least?" Asked Liam, I chuckled and shrugged.

"Maybe, Nick was very adamant that you work hard in class." I hummed, he groaned and leaned more heavily against the fence.

"Daryl's taking ya back to the city tonight, right? For the weekend? Trevor has been annoying me all week, hiding from Daisy because the asshole can't get off his lazy ass to fucking work" grumbled Liam.

"And that's why the teacher wrote you up" I stated. He shoved the piece of paper into his pocket and laughed.

"Oh shut up, at least I'm not a fucking nerd like you" he playfully shot back, I raised an eyebrow.

"One way to call yourself dumb" I bit back. He jumped at me playfully, I squealed and giggled as I jumped backwards. He crossed his arms, laughing to himself and shaking his head. My phone buzzed and I pulled it from my pocket, a small text from Juliette, I smiled, glad that we still talk, but a tinge of sadness passed over me, knowing we wouldn't be able to meet up.

"Ah, here Kevin is, took him forever" groaned Liam. He turned his attention back to me. "Well, I'll see ya tonight then, tell Sarah I loved my lunch" Liam hummed, I nodded and watched him run towards Kevin, who smiled and waved to me, I waved back. It's strange how things have changed so much, no more am I fearing for my life. I've learnt how GPs work, general practitioners I think it means, the one Daryl and the big boss chose for me said I'd strained the damaged muscles and tendons so much while healing, that it would take a long time or never for my leg to be the same again.

I've learnt that those appointments are paid for and that I have PTSD from a psychiatrist, who is very aware of the criminal world, they wouldn't spread the information I tell them. Mr Collins made sure of it he told me. Apparently, it's caused some disorders and phobias. I can't be inside a locked car with people around it. I cower when anyone seems even mildly violent towards my general direction. My psychiatrist seems positive we can help lessen or get past these issues with time and care.

I jumped at the sound of a car honking, looking at the cars parked in front, Daryl in his SUV sat waiting, I picked up my grey bag and hurried to his car. Paige was in a special seat in the back seat, I sat in the passenger seat, and Daryl carefully pulled out of the car park.

"Hope school went well" he mumbled, yawning into his hand.

"Yeah... It did" I responded, he nodded and looked into his rearview mirror, smiling softly at Paige who was sound asleep. I hugged my bag to myself and we moved towards the nearby town that he lives in.

"Can you grab her please?" He asked as we pulled into the driveway.

"Yeah" I responded, he nodded and turned the car off, picking up his 'work' phone and staring at it. I swung the bag onto my back and gently pulled Paige from her seat, she held onto my shoulder and yawned, snuggling her head against me. I held her blanket and bottle in my other hand, Sarah in the doorway, smiling.

"How was school?" She asked, gently taking Paige from me.

"It was good, tiring," I told her, she nodded and followed me inside, and I removed my black school shoes.