Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Grandpa

Indeed, life is full of surprises. Ever since I was a kid, the world surprised me unexpectedly—not just once nor twice, not even thrice.

There are  two kinds of surprises: good and bad. And as a kid, I was always anticipating the good one, but again, the world is against my happiness. It gave me the bad ones instead. 

How cruel could the world be?... To me? 

For many people, the world is more like a Pandora's box of surprises than something to look forward to whatever the circumstances. Despite how much we might think we know, we eventually learn that we actually never know when a storm is coming. Despite our best efforts, we can never fully shield ourselves or the people we care about from its effects.

Unfortunately, we shut down and build barriers in our eagerness to defend ourselves from the worst-case scenario. This decision will likely stop the pain and the suffering, but it will also prevent the best and the greatest things that could happen.

It is without a doubt unwise to go through life ignoring our experiences, whether positive or negative. However, if the scars from the past hinder us from taking the risk or even altering our current mindset, we must re-learn how to move forward.

We must not forget about tomorrow's potential pains, but rather focus on the things that do go right, right here and now, in order to make today a day that will be worth living and remembering tomorrow.

There is no guarantee that we won't experience grief again or that life will be delightful and full of roses; the odds remain the same. The only assurance we have in life is that we'll pass away at some point.

"I can't do that! She's so young! And a kid should not be away from her parents!" I stopped playing with my toys when I heard my mom's voice upstairs. 

"Bella, our mommy is shouting. Let's go and check on her!" I stood up and carried my huge  doll with me. Her name is Bella. She's my favorite doll. 

My nanny is getting my milk. That's why I freely went up the stairs, and decided to just pull Bella because I can't see the stair steps if I carry her. 

"I know, it's hard for me, too." I heard my daddy's calm voice. 

Mommy is already sobbing and it's breaking me. They're now inside daddy's office, I tiptoed to secretly peek at the slightly opened door. 

Daddy is sitting down on his swivel chair while mommy is standing up, angry. 

I saw how dad stood up to embrace her. 

"I'm sorry, this is the only way I could think to protect our daughter." He said and caressed my crying mother's back. 

"We can protect Dike here! We are capable of hiring a bunch of bodyguards for her safety! We don't have to send her away from us!" She responded. 

"They're talking about me, Bella." I whispered to my doll. 

"Aren't they happy to have me? Why are they crying?" I carried her again and hugged her tightly. 

"I don't know what your best friend's did with that syndicate." I can't understand them. 

"What is syndicate?" I whispered. 

"She thought the leader of that group was in  love with her, she gave everything pero pinatay pa rin siya. I want justice for my best friend. At least, I want her daughter to feel love for us. Ayaw kong ilayo si Dike sa atin." My mother uttered, enough for me to be heard.