Chapter Two

Chapter Two 

    I drove my truck up the dirt lane—following the small U-Haul my mom was driving, towing her car behind it. We had to go slowly since the road was full of dips and bumps caused by heavy snow and rain during the winter. I was thankful it was April, and while it was still cool, we'd missed the worst of the weather. I was definitely going to miss the warm desert. I sighed again, for what must've been the thousandth time and cranked my music up louder.

    At least I'd managed to convince her to let me keep my pickup. I reminded her the ranch was three miles off the main highway and three more miles to the school. Unless Grandpa was planning on loaning me his ancient tractor, she was going to have to take me to school every day, because I refused to walk three miles to catch the bus.

    She finally relented.

    We passed out of the heavy cedar growth into the flat area that marked the ranch. The fields were all empty dirt patches waiting to be replanted. 

    Silver Creek—the actual creek the town was named after—ran through the far edge of the property. Big cottonwood trees lined its banks, their new spring leaves rippling in the breeze. Directly ahead was the sprawling two story white ranch house, with its immaculately trimmed lawns and wide porches. The huge red barn, with lots of stalls and corrals, sat off to the right.

    I guess people would call the view pretty, if they were into rural settings. I, personally, thought it would have been more appropriate if there were a giant sign in the yard with the word 'PRISON' scrawled across it in giant letters.

    Grandma Johnson ran from the house with a big smile on her face as we pulled up. She wiped her hands on her apron and hurried to greet us. Mom jumped out to hug her, and I reluctantly went to do the same. Grandma was probably the one bright spot to this whole new change, but I wasn't in the mood for happy greetings.

    "Chase!" She turned with a delighted look and held her arms open. 

    I walked into them and hugged her loosely, but she squeezed me tightly.

    "Welcome home," she said. "I'm so thrilled you've come to live with us. We've hardly seen you it seems, and I can't believe how big you've gotten! How tall are you now?"

    "Six foot two," I replied, stepping away.

    "My, my, and all lean muscle from the looks of it. I bet the girls go nuts over you with your strong, chiseled jaw, dark hair and eyes. You've grown like a weed! Ah, so handsome." She clasped a hand over her heart.

    At the mention of weed, I suddenly wished I had some. I could use a little escape right now. It was one thing to have cute babes hanging all over me, another entirely to have my grandma raving over how good-looking she thought I was. It was a little creepy. 

    My thoughts were interrupted by a new figure stepping from the house.

    Grandpa Johnson was imposing. He was tall and fit, with short, salt and pepper colored hair. I could hear his boots hitting the porch as he crossed and made his way down the steps toward us.

    "They're here, Warren!" my grandma called.

    "I can see that, Caroline," he replied gruffly. He bent to hug my mom. "Welcome home, Tori, sweetheart."

    "Thanks, Dad," she replied happily.

    Grandpa moved away and turned to look at me. He scowled, and I lifted my chin, determined not to let him walk all over me. "Chase," he said in a low voice.