Author's Note

Author's Note: 

    Death from pulmonary embolism is a very real occurrence after injuries. Sadly, many non-life threatening injuries can end in this terrible result if not treated properly.

    I experienced this heartbreak in my own life after my mother fell from a ladder and broke her back. She was in a lot of pain which made it difficult for her to move. She spent several weeks in physical therapy trying to overcome her injury but had a second bad spell. Due to her lack of efficient movement, she developed a blood clot and passed her first pulmonary embolism. She was placed in the hospital and treated for her condition, but unfortunately, the damage was done. She died a week later of a second massive pulmonary embolism—the day after she was released.

    Hospitals routinely treat for this condition after accidents, which has helped lower the occurrence of this significantly. However, incorrect dosages and/or extenuating circumstances can still allow this killer to strike unexpectedly.

    For more information on pulmonary embolism, its causes, signs, symptoms, and appropriate prevention, you can visit the Mayo Clinic's Website at: 

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pulmonary-embolism/DS00429/DSECTION=prevention

    If you have recently experienced the loss of a loved one, there are many grief/counseling services available. You can search the internet to find a group or service near you.