Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

    One cold shower and a brief nap later, I woke to the buzzing of my phone.

    "Hello?" I answered groggily.

    "Are we okay?" Nikki asked, sounding worried. "You never called."

    "Sorry. I fell asleep." I swear my traitorous body was excited just to hear the sound of her voice. "Yeah, we're good. At least I think we are. Is there something you wanted to talk about?"

    "I wanted to apologize. I've never attacked anybody like that before."

    I grinned. "So, I'm the first? I feel honored."

    "Quit teasing me. I'm being serious."

    "So am I. You don't have anything to feel sorry about. I had fun. Way too much fun, as a matter of fact."

    "Why did you leave then?"

    "Because I didn't want to rush into something you weren't ready for. It's hard to make a rational decision when you're in the heat of the moment."

    "I get that, but why did you have to leave? We could've hung out and visited together."

    I laughed. "If I would've stayed one more minute, there would've been no stopping us. I wasn't leaving because I didn't want to be with you. Trust me. I love every second I spend with you."

    "Well, you know what I learned today?"

    "No, tell me."

    "Chase Walker isn't the player everyone says he is."

    I paused for a moment, dragging my hand through my hair. "Yes, I am, Nikki. At least I was. I'm different with you for some reason."

    "Oh."

    I heard a vehicle and rolled over to check out the window. "Hey, my grandpa is home. I'm gonna have to go now. I'll talk to you tomorrow at school, okay?"

    "Alright." She paused for a second. "Have a good night."

    "You too." I snapped the phone shut and reached for my shoes. 

    I hadn't got the horse stalls cleaned yet today, and I was pretty sure Grandpa had heard about my fight at school by now. He wasn't going to be very happy with me, of this I was positive. 

    Mom left me a note when I got home, stating Grandma had gone with her to show a house in a neighboring town, and they wouldn't be home until later, so there wasn't even anyone to run interference.

    His heavy footfalls greeted me as I left my room. I met him in the hallway. If the scowl on his face were any indication of my current situation, things were not good.

    "I need your help in the barn," he said gruffly.

    "Headed that way now," I replied. "I fell asleep after school before I got my chores done."

    He gave a grunt, casting his gaze over me once before he turned to go back down the stairs. I followed after, keeping up with his long stride until we entered the barn, and I went to get some of my supplies.

    "I need you in the hayloft for a minute," Grandpa said as he started to agilely climb the ladder.

    I placed the shovel I was holding against the wall and followed him up into the loft in time to see him open the exterior door. Light from the dusky sky filtered into the space, and for a moment, we stood there in silence as we stared at the scenery.