Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

    "Do you two have anything to say for yourselves?" Mr. Woodside asked again, only to be greeted by silence once more.

    "Jeremy?" he prodded further, trying to get to the bottom of what had happened.

    "It really was just a misunderstanding," Jeremy supplied, seeming eager to not have me speak. "We've taken care of it between ourselves and moved on."

    Stupid punk, I thought. If ever there was a kid deserving of the title, it was this guy.

    "Well, I'm glad you seem to think everything has been resolved, but I need to remind you, fighting is not allowed on school grounds. You'll both be receiving detention. We're trying to teach the students here to strive for excellence, and frankly, the message the two of you sent today isn't acceptable."

    "I'm totally fine with the detention," Jeremy said, sucking up further, making me want to sink my fist into his pansy wuss face one more time. I didn't think he could take another hit without breaking, though. His left eye was nearly swollen shut and turning a nasty shade of purple. His split bottom lip was quite large now—a dried trail of blood ran down his chin.

    "And you, Mr. Walker?" Mr. Woodside directed his attention toward me.

    "I'm good with whatever," I replied blandly, slouched in my chair like I had been since we entered, unlike Mr. Brownnoser sitting next to me, who was plainly doing his best to kiss up.

    "Alright, Mr. Winters, you'll serve detention at lunch today. You're dismissed. Chase, I'd like to talk to you a little longer."

    Jeremy threw a nervous glance in my direction, and I couldn't help the slight grin and cocked eyebrow I shot at him as he stood and left the room.

    Mr. Woodside folded his hands on his desk and stared at me. "You were awfully quiet during all of that."

    I shrugged. "Didn't have much to say."

    "Did you start this fight?" he asked point blank.

    "It depends on what you mean by started. If you mean did I throw the first punch, then yes. But only because he threw the rude comment that deserved it."

    "Someone insulting you is not a valid reason to hit them."

    I laughed cynically. "Is that what you think? He didn't insult me. He can try to slight me until he's blue in the face. I wouldn't give a crap. He attacked Nikki, though. I won't stand for that."

    "Really? What did he say?" 

    I leaned to the side and chuckled wryly. "Does it matter? I know everyone around here thinks he's Boy Wonder in the flesh, but he's not. He's a jerk."

    "It might help your case."

    I shook my head in disgust. "He told me not to waste my time, that she didn't put out, and then he goaded her with his remark."

    Mr. Woodside's eyes widened in surprise, and he pondered over this information for a moment before he spoke again. 

    "Okay, you'll get detention for throwing the first punch then, and that's all."

    "I threw the last punch too," I added, feeling the need to let him know who had actually won.

    He looked at me seriously. "Good," he said, and I was the one who was shocked this time. "I think I successfully judged the winner by the damage you did to Jeremy's face. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning fighting by any means, but I felt he must've been the one who started it by the way he was so anxious to be cooperative."