Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen 

    I had to stop myself from chuckling at the group of girls scattered across the gym floor facing the rest of the student body. I couldn't remotely imagine how scary it must be to have a tryout in front of the entire school. There were definitely lots of kids who weren't taking it seriously, and a handful were shouting catcalls to the participants.

     I didn't really care, though, because I only had eyes for Nikki. She was dressed in a fitted white tee shirt and blue shorts which showed off her pretty curves and very shapely legs. I was positive I wasn't the only guy watching her, and I wished I could pull the fire alarm so no one else had the pleasure of staring while she bounced around out there.

    The girls were rotating in sections, so each row had the chance to stand in the very front and be seen and judged. I waited for Nikki's to come forward and do their cheer. Reaching between my knees, I grabbed the giant white poster I'd made, with the number ten written in big bold letters and held it up.

    Nikki noticed immediately and flushed a bright red. I chuckled, enjoying myself completely. Several students began looking and pointing at me, laughing. I didn't care. Every time Nikki came forward, I flashed my sign, signaling my opinion clearly to the adult judging panel as well.

    Tryouts lasted about thirty minutes, and at the end we had to check off a sheet of paper with our favorite picks for the squad. I put three checks next to Nikki's name and a couple next to her friends, Tana and Brittney too. They were both really good.

    We were released a little early for lunch, so I went out to my truck to wait for Nikki. I left the door open and turned the stereo on loudly while I watched people piling into cars and leaving. It wasn't long before I saw her hurrying across the lot to join me, and I jumped out of the truck to meet her.

    "You were great, baby." I smiled, pulling her against me.

    "Really? I was actually kind of flustered because you kept flashing that dang sign." She wrapped her arms around me, hugging tightly, and I laughed.

    "Sorry. I didn't think about that. I just wanted to make sure everyone there knew you were the best."

    "Whatever, but, hey, I'm glad you thought so." She popped up on her tiptoes to give me a kiss on the cheek. "Are you ready to eat?"

    "In a minute. Brett's coming with us today, but he had to turn in a late assignment before he left so he wouldn't get detention."

    "I wish I'd have known. I would've invited Tana to go with us too."

    "Tana? Why?"

    Nikki smiled. "You boys are so blind sometimes. She's had a crush on him for ages."

    I mulled over this new information. "That's interesting."

    "How come?"

    "Because I've been trying to get Brett to go out with her so we could double date. He said she dumped him in sixth grade. I got the impression the two were way through with each other."

    Nikki shook her head. "Not Tana. She's always liked him."

    "Why'd she break up with him then?"

    "Her parents made her. They said she was too young to have a boyfriend."

    "Ah, I see." I brushed some of her hair back from her face and kissed her lightly. "Here he comes now. Maybe we should play matchmaker for them. What do you think?"