Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

    I sent a text to Nikki telling her I was on my way over, and she was outside waiting for me on the porch swing when I pulled up. I released a big sigh, not exactly sure how to approach this subject with her. Honestly, I was feeling foolish. I'd never told any girl I loved her before, and while I was sure that's what I was experiencing, it just seemed so sudden.

    I climbed out of the truck and shoved my hands in my pockets as I walked up the sidewalk. Her pleasant expression didn't change as I approached, and she moved to the right to make room. Shaking my head, I chose to lean against the railing across from her. She looked disappointed with my decision.

    "How was practice?" she asked, breaking the awkward silence between us.

    "It was good, I guess. Grandpa seems to think the coach liked what he saw." I studied the toes of my shoes.

    "You can sit by me, you know." She patted the bench.

    I denied her again. "I'm all sweaty."

    "I don't mind." She smiled, but it fell from her face when I didn't move.

    "Did you hear if you made the cheer squad yet?" I tried warming up with small talk.

    She nodded and looked away.

    "Well, are you gonna tell me what they said?" I chuckled.

    "Are you mad at me?" she asked.

    "What? No! Why would you think that?"

    "You seem so . . . aloof."

    I dragged a hand through my hair. "I don't mean to be. I'm . . . I'm nervous, I guess."

    "Because of the text?"

    "Yes." I was determined to muddle through this. "I've never told a girl I loved her before, and this time it was a complete accident. It slipped out, and I pressed send before I realized what I'd written. That's what happens when you text while distracted, apparently."

    "Oh, I see." She looked positively crestfallen.

    "What do you see?"

    "That you didn't mean to say it."

    I sat next to her, but she wouldn't look at me, so I lifted her chin until she had to glance at me. "No, I didn't mean to say it you in that way—not that it wasn't true."

    It took a few seconds for the meaning of my words to sink in, and then her mouth opened slightly.

    "Oh," she said softly. "Wait. What are you saying exactly?"

    I laughed. "I'm saying I love you, Nikki. You have no idea how much you mean to me. You don't have to reply, but I want you to know my feelings for you are real. You've been the greatest gift in my life—the girl I never knew I always wanted."

    She leaned toward me and brushed her lips lightly against mine before tracing the outline of my mouth. "Thank you, Chase. I love you too."

    "You're not just saying it because I did, are you?" I couldn't look away from her beautiful face.

    "No. I mean it. But I don't know if I would've ever had the courage to tell you first."

    "Well, that doesn't matter anymore now, does it?" I slipped my arm around her waist and brought her closer, kissing her harder this time.

    She slid her hands up to my cheeks, holding me there as our tongues danced together.

    I groaned and moved away. "I wish I could stay longer, but I've got to go. All the guys are at my house waiting to have dinner."