Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

    "Where are you dragging me off to, Mr. Walker?" Nikki asked as she snuggled up closer. I loved the way her body brushed against mine as we bounced along the bumpy road in my truck.

    I slid my arm around her tighter, kissing the top of her head. "I'm taking you into the middle of the woods so I can have my evil way with you. Haven't you figured that out already?"

    She laughed nervously as she stared around outside the vehicle. "I'm actually starting to believe you, I think."

    I glanced down and caught her eye. "Would it be such an awful thing?" I cocked my eyebrow.

    She dropped her gaze and began toying with the bottom of her shirt. "I don't know," she hedged, and I felt bad for making her uncomfortable.

    "Relax. We aren't far from the ranch house. In fact, when we stop, you'll be able to see the house over that rise. It seems far because the road swings in a wide circle before it comes around again. It only took me fifteen minutes to walk from there to here the other day."

    "Oh," she replied, craning her neck in the direction I'd pointed. "Then why didn't we walk?"

    "Because I had too much stuff to carry, and because everything is still a bit muddy after the freak rainstorm yesterday," I explained as I pulled up underneath the giant cottonwoods and parked.

    "This is beautiful." Nikki's eyes were wide as she took in the creek running nearby and the tall grass blowing slightly in the spring breeze.

    "I thought so too. Grandpa had me helping him gather some of the horses, and I came across this place." 

    I slid from the truck and reached into the bed in the back, pulling out a blanket and a basket full of food. "I thought we could have a picnic."

    She grinned widely. "You packed us a lunch?"

    "Oh, heck no. I wanted you to survive the date. My grandma made it."

    Nikki giggled, and I handed the blanket to her so I could get the tarp I brought to go underneath it, in case the ground was still too wet.

    "You ready?" I asked with a smile.

    "Let's do this." She followed as I led the way to where the large branches of the trees intertwined heavily, creating a canopy of sorts that filtered the early May sunshine overhead.

    "Does this look good?" I set the basket down.

    She nodded. "It's great!"

    I spread the small plastic and helped her lay the fluffy quilt over the top. We kicked our shoes off and settled into the center of our makeshift area.

    "So what did you bring to eat?" Nikki asked, trying to peer into the basket after I placed it in the middle and lifted the lid.

    "I have no idea, but there were good smells coming from the kitchen earlier, so it's bound to be awesome." I lifted a baggie with napkins, and a large plastic container. "Looks like fried chicken." 

    I passed it to Nikki while I got out a couple of plates and set them down. "And we have potato salad, as well as nacho flavored chips, and a container of mixed fruit."

    "My mouth is watering," she said, and her comment made mine do the same, for an entirely different reason.

    "I can help you with that, you know." I captured her chin in my grasp and planted a kiss on her.