Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

    I grabbed the basket with the remainder of our picnic in one hand, before taking Nikki's in the other, leading her toward the house.

    "Grandma?" I called when we entered.

    "In here, Chase," she replied from the rear of the house. "Are you back already?"

    I followed the sound of her voice into the spacious country kitchen, finding her kneading some dough in a giant stainless steel pan.

    "Is Mom here? I didn't see her car outside."

    "She ran to town to get a couple of things from the grocery store for dinner. She should be back soon. Hi Nikki, how are you? I'd shake your hand, but . . . ," she trailed off and glanced down at her work.

    "No worries," Nikki replied. "I'm good, thank you. Your home is very lovely."

    "Well, I'm glad Chase has decided to start bringing some of his friends here. It's nice to have young people around the place again."

    "If you keep cooking food like you have been, I wager we'll have the whole school showing up at our door, Grandma. Thank you for the amazing lunch." I set the basket on the counter and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

    "It was delicious," Nikki added.

    "Did you eat it all?" Grandma asked with a smile.

    "Heck, no. You packed enough in here to feed an army." I reached inside and started pulling out the leftover containers, and Nikki helped me put them in the fridge.

    "We need to get you eating more. It'll be good for you to pack some pounds on for football. I imagine Grandpa will want to beef up your foods now that early weight training is starting."

    "I'm okay with eating more. Just leave me thin enough so I can attempt to waddle down the field at a reasonable pace, at least." I turned to Nikki. "Will you still like me if I'm fat?"

    Nikki laughed. "I can't imagine you that way. I don't really see it being an issue for you with all your good genes."

    I looked down and rubbed my hands over my pants. "I do have good jeans, don't I? This pair is one of my favorites."

    "You're a dork." She grinned and elbowed me in the ribs.

    "You're saying you're into dorks then?"

    She giggled. "I guess so." She turned to my grandma. "Is there anything we can help you with, Mrs. Johnson?"

    "No, sweetheart. Thank you for asking. Why don't you have Chase take you to see the animals while you're waiting for his mom to get home?"

    "That's a good idea." I took Nikki's hand again. "I'll introduce you to the horse I learned to ride on."

    We went out the door and made our way across the lawn in the direction of the barn.

    "I like it here," Nikki said, as she gazed around. "It's so peaceful."

    There was only the low hum of a tractor in the distance, and I could see the dust churning up behind Grandpa as he plowed one of the far fields to ready it for planting. 

    "It is nice. I didn't think I would like it when I first moved here, but it sort of grew on me."

    We entered the barn, and I took her to where Mitzi was standing in her stall. The horse neighed softly and pushed her nose into my palm, nuzzling.