Chapter Three

Chapter Three 

    I'd successfully survived my first three classes at Silver Creek High School, home of the Fighting Timberwolves. I had yet to see anything too impressive, despite how much my mom raved about this place.

    I walked into my fourth hour history class and saw Brett Dodson, who I'd met in my first hour, along with his super cute twin sister, Brittney. They were both really friendly, but Brittney's boyfriend, Matt, didn't seem to care for me much. Of course, that may have been due to the fact I kept checking his girl out during class. I didn't plan on hitting on her since she was taken, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching him squirm when she would flash shy smiles back at me. It was funny. 

    Brett, on the other hand, seemed as if he'd decided to take me under his wing. He'd pretty much filled me in on the football team and what he felt their chances were to take state next year—who was hot, and who was not—along with the best places to eat lunch. He waved me over to sit by him.

    "Hey dude," I said, scooting into the available desk.

    "Welcome to one of the most boring classes on the planet," Brett said. 

    "Great."

    "Yeah, this hour is perfect for a pre-lunch nap. Of course, you might get an eraser thrown at you if you do. Mr. Ralston doesn't take too kindly to that."

    I stopped paying attention to him when a gorgeous, perky brunette entered the room. She was laughing about something with her friend, flashing a beautiful smile of straight teeth and plump lips.

    Suddenly the day was looking up.

    "Who's that?" I asked with a nod toward the door, and it was almost like she heard, turning to stare straight at me with her big brown eyes.

    I knew it was rude, but I couldn't look away. My glance traveled from her face, to her loosely crimped, shoulder length hair, down over the tight, black shirt and blue jeans that showed off all her curves. This chick was smokin' hot!

    "Don't waste your time, man," Brett said, as the girl turned away and headed to a desk at the front of the room. "She won't give you the time of day."

    "Why not?" I asked, still staring. 

    "Her name is Nikki Wagner, and she's sworn off any guy who plays football, even though she's a cheerleader."

    I gave him a puzzled look. "What does football have to do with anything?"

    "She used to go out with Jeremy Winters. He's a senior, and the varsity quarterback. I guess he decided their relationship was ready to go to the next level, but she didn't. She caught him in his car with another girl. When she found out the guys on the team knew he was seeing the other chick behind her back, she branded us all losers."

    I leaned into my seat and crossed my legs in front of me as I stared at her again. "So you're saying she's a good girl, then?"

    "Yep."

    "Just as well. She probably wouldn't like me at all." I made up my mind to forget about her. 

    The teacher entered the classroom as the bell sounded and headed to the front. "We have a new student. Mr. Walker, can you please come up here?"

    I couldn't help the soft groan and eye roll that sent Brett into a chuckle. I got up and went, wondering why every teacher today had seen the need to introduce me in front of the entire class.