Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

    I paced in the waiting room, hanging around for someone—anyone—to tell me something. The lady sitting behind the glass at the desk eyed me again, as if she were getting annoyed. I was ready to punch my fist right through that glass if people didn't let me know what was going on soon. I glanced at a fire extinguisher hanging on the wall. That would work too.

    "Chase. Come sit down. You're driving everyone crazy." My mom patted the seat next to her.

    "She's in there by herself, and no one is telling us what's going on. I told her I'd be with her."

    "She's not alone. She got a team of people working on her. Let them do their job, son."

    "What did her mom say?" I asked, referring to her recent phone call.

    "She's getting packed up right now. I feel sorry for her. It'll be a long drive back from Texas."

    "Did you tell her we would stay with Nikki? I don't want her to think she'll be abandoned."

    "I told her. She's very appreciative and said to thank you for all your help so far."

    I snorted. "What help? This is my fault. If it weren't for me, none of this would have happened."

    "Are you going to tell me what was going on? I thought you were safely asleep at Brett's house." She arched an eyebrow.

    I sighed, plopping into a seat. "She was sneaking out from Tana's to meet me at her house."

    My mom picked at some imaginary lint on her pants. "I see. How long has this been going on?"

    I laughed sardonically. "It hasn't. Tonight was going to be the first time."

    "Really?" She turned to stare now. "I have to say I find it surprising, given how close the two of you've been."

    I shrugged as if it were no big deal, as if I hadn't been after her for months. "Nikki's different. She was worth waiting for."

    My mom squinted, looking at me closely. "You're in love with her, aren't you? I mean really in love, not just some teenager puppy I'm-so-cool-with-my-girlfriend type of affection."

    I wiped my hand over my face before dropping it into my lap. What an awkward conversation to have with my mother.

    "When did it happen?" she asked, reading my silence perfectly.

    "Quite early, actually."

    "Does she know how you feel?"

    "I hope so. I tell her every day." I gave an exasperated grunt.

    "And does she feel the same about you?"

    "She says she does, and I believe her."

    "Have you talked about your futures together?"

    I knew she was trying to distract me, but it was okay. I needed to talk to someone about her.

    "A little, but not much."

    "What kind of stuff?"

    "We talked about going away to the same college together. She wanted to see what scholarship offers I might get, and if she could follow me there."

    "How do you feel about that?"

    I rubbed my palms on the knees of my pants and stood up. "I'm totally down with it."