PART TWO: Chapter Eighteen

PART TWO

   Chapter Eighteen

    Brett snapped the ball, and I fell back into the pocket while I looked for a receiver. I found Chad as my line held the opposing team away and powered the ball through the air toward him. It was a perfect throw, dead on. He caught it easily, before turning to run the next thirty yards for a touchdown. The referee threw his arms into the air to signal the score, and I slapped the helmets of my lineman as I ran off the grass so the field goal team could come on.

    "And number twenty-three, quarterback, Chase Walker, connects on another long pass to number eighty-two, Chad Thompson, bringing the score to Timberwolves twenty, Mountain Lions, seven!"

    The crowd was going wild, eager to rub the play in the face of the opposing fans, one of our big rivals from Cooley.

    "Great job, Chase," Coach Hardin said, punching my shoulder pads as I came off.

    "Thanks." I removed my headgear and headed over to the water cooler on a folding table. I couldn't help the quick glance to where my girl was currently being tossed into the air by the rest of the cheer squad in the middle of a routine.

    She was amazing. I had to give her that.

    Get your head in the game, Chase, I growled internally and returned my attention to the field. 

    The extra point was good, and the kickoff team headed onto the field. I looked at the scoreboard. Three minutes left. This game was in the bag. We just needed the defense to hold them or force a turn over.

    "Put me in, Coach. I can play defense too."

    "You've done your part, Chase. Let these guys have a chance at it. If I need you to go in, I'll send you. Take a rest for a minute." He looked away and began talking to one of the other coaches.

    I watched the defense line up against the Mountain Lions, and they snapped the ball. One of our guys barreled through the opposition and sacked their quarterback.

    "Yeah!" I yelled, pumping my fist into the air. I swaggered down the sideline, slapping the back of my teammates helmets, as the crowd roared in the stands. I knew this was going to be a huge win for us. Even though we were undefeated for the season, the first three games had been non-conference games against less-than-challenging teams. Going into conference with a win straight off the bat, and against Cooley too, was going to send our message to every other team out there. We were in it to win it.

    "Pass!" The guys on the sideline started yelling as Cooley set up to throw long and make up for their lost yards during the last play. Their quarterback threw the ball, and we all watched with baited breath, the crowd jumping to its feet as number sixty-four, Jace Davidson, vaulted himself into the air and intercepted the ball, turning to run toward our goal line.

    The whole team shifted as we ran down the sidelines cheering him on. "Go, go, go!" I shouted, joining the others, and he made it a good twenty yards before he was tackled.

    "Chase! Offense! You're up!" Coach hollered. "You boys have got this game. Let's wrap it up good now."

    I was well aware of the time on the board. Two and a half minutes left. I was going to take my time calling the snaps, control the ball, and run the clock down. We needed to go twenty-five yards for a touchdown. We could do this.

    Coach called the play, and I knew I was passing up the middle to Wes this time. I took the snap and stepped back as I looked for my man. One of Cooley's players broke through the line, headed right for me. I held my ground, waiting for an opportunity to throw the ball. He was getting closer, though, and I knew he was going to hit me.