Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve 

    Nikki rode to school with me, snuggled up against my side, and I liked having her there.

    "You know it's actually a good thing for you I've been in so much trouble lately," I said, helping her from the vehicle.

    "Really? Why's that?"

    "Because you look so dang hot today, I'm totally tempted to kidnap you and go somewhere the two of us can be alone." I touched the end of her nose with my finger. "But that would definitely get me landed into more scalding water."

    She laughed. "I figured you were probably sick of me by now. You know—staying at my house, sleeping in my bed, having to share the same bathroom."

    "Nope. All those things make me want to steal you away even worse." She had no idea what her presence did, both calming and exciting me at the same time.

    "I thought being around the little kids would've run you off for sure. They get so annoying sometimes."

    "I like them. I think they're cute," I replied, reaching to carry her books.

    "Which is proof you haven't been around them long enough." She laced her fingers through mine.

    "You know you adore them. I can tell by watching you," I told her. "You're a good big sister. If you don't mind me asking, how come there is such a big age gap between all of you?"

    She sighed. "Mom and Dad decided to have me not long after they got married. Dad was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years later and was sick for a while, but then he went into remission, or so we thought. It came back, and he died two years after Timmy was born. I don't think Timmy even remembers much about him."

    I squeezed her hand. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up a painful subject."

    "No worries. We're learning to get by. We work together and try to stay busy filling our lives with new happy memories to go with the old ones we have of him."

    I chuckled. "My grandpa said something similar to me this morning. Are you sure you weren't spying on us?"

    She shook her head. "I'd never invade your privacy like that."

    "Really? Aren't you the one who called my mom?" I teased.

    "That was different," Nikki said, jumping to defend her actions. "I had pertinent information she needed."

    "I'm not mad. I appreciate you trying to help out."

    "Well, you stood up for me. It's only fair I do the same for you."

    I stopped. "Is that the reason you did it? Because it was fair?" I didn't want her thinking I was some charity case.

    "No. I did it because I like you, and I don't want you to end up living somewhere else away from here. I was afraid if you didn't go back to your grandparents' house then your mom might move you again."

    Her comment struck me hard, because it made me realize how much I wanted to stay too. A couple of weeks ago, I would've done anything to escape this place. Now I'd do anything to stay. If I could adjust so easily to that, what else could I adjust to?

    "Hey, you two," Brett's voice broke me from my reverie, and I turned to find him and Brittney walking behind us.

    "How you doing, bro?" I asked as the four of us fell into step together. I flashed a smile over at Brittney.