Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One 

    The sun filtered through the leaves of the trees, casting flickering shadows over Nikki's face as she lay in the grass beneath me. I bent to lightly kiss her lips again, listening to the sound of her increased breathing mingle with the sound of the creek and the soft breeze in the air. I lifted my face to look at her, my heart swelling with feelings.

    She smiled tenderly. "I love you, Chase."

    "I love you, too," I whispered, stroking my hand across her cheek and then her neck. I paused to trace her collarbone, marveling over how silky her skin felt under my touch, before I moved to replace my finger with my mouth.

    I moaned when she arched her back and ran her fingers into my hair.  I kissed farther down her body. This beautiful girl was mine. She belonged only to me. I slid my hands over her perfect figure, enjoying the way she moved in reaction to my touch.

    I found another spot to attack and grinned when she called out my name. "Chase," her voice was a little deeper and huskier. "Chase."

    Someone shook me, and I woke with a start, sitting up to find Nikki's mom staring at me with a concerned look. The beeping of Nikki's heart monitor was still going strong, and reality came crashing back in.

    I sat up on the edge of the couch and hunched over, grabbing the sides of my head as I closed my eyes in despair. I'd been dreaming—dreaming of being with Nikki while she was laying sedated a few feet away in the hospital bed I'd put her in. 

    What kind of freak was I?

    Justine joined me and slipped an arm around my shoulders. "How you holding up, Chase?"

    Sighing heavily, I tried to wipe the guilt I was feeling from my face. "I've been better, but still doing better than her." 

    I glanced to where Nikki, unmoved since the last time I looked at her. "How was your trip?"

    She leaned against the couch. "Exhausting. Excruciating. I'm so glad you and your family were here. Your mom took the kids for me tonight, and I drove your truck so you'd have a way to get home. Your Grandpa and Greg are coming tomorrow to drop off my car. Your family has been amazing, as usual."

    "They love you too," I replied. "I think having you all out to the ranch for the Fourth of July barbeque secured your place as a family favorite forever."

    We both smiled at the memory, and I wished we could return to that night filled with sparklers, pie eating contests, and games. Life was so simple in that moment. I was happy my mom and Justine had hit it off, becoming best friends. My reasons were purely selfish, of course. They liked each other which meant Nikki and I got to spend more time together too.

    "How's she been?" she asked, dragging me from my thoughts.

    "Just like this since they admitted her. I think the drugs keep her from moving too much while they wait for the swelling to decrease."

    She nodded and stood, going to place her hand on the top of Nikki's bandages. She bent to kiss her forehead. "I'm here now. I love you, sweetie."

    Nikki didn't move, and I cast my gaze to the floor, the guilt eating away at me again.

    "Why don't you go home for a while, Chase? Your grandma had dinner cooking when I dropped the kids off, and it smelled great. Go eat, sleep in your own bed, and get cleaned up. You can come back in the morning."

    I shook my head. "I promised her I wouldn't leave."

    "I know, but she would be furious if she woke up and saw you looking like you do. I'm here with her now. If she wakes, I'll tell her I made you go home to get some rest. She'll understand."