Chapter Six

Chapter Six 

    I was still blissfully asleep at eight o'clock the next morning when my phone started buzzing. I reached to silence it, but when I saw the number I answered right away.

    "Hello?" I tried to make my voice sound normal despite not having used it today.

    "Are you awake?" Nikki asked.

    "Of course," I replied.

    "You said you would never lie to me remember?" She giggled.

    "If I weren't awake, how could I be talking to you?"

    "I woke you up, didn't I?"

    "Yep, and I'm thinking you should do it every morning from now on." I couldn't stop grinning like a goof. "What's up?"

    "I'm calling in our date. You said I could plan the time and place. The time is in one hour, and I will text you the address. Can you make it?"

    "I'll be there." I hopped out of bed and hurried to my closet to pull out some clothes. "What are we doing?"

    "Can't tell you. It'll ruin the surprise." She sounded excited.

    "Okay. See you in a bit." I hung up and grabbed a couple other items and headed for the shower, passing my mom in the hall.

    "Where are you headed so early?" she asked.

    "I have a date," I replied with a wink.

    "A date?" She smiled widely. "This early? On a Sunday? Must be a special girl."

    "I'm thinking maybe so. Is it okay with you? I didn't ask. It was kind of spur of the moment."

    "Who is she?"

    "Her name is Nikki Wagner. She's a sweet girl. I guess she's one of the cheerleaders."

    "Oh. A cheerleader," she replied in a voice that made it sound like I'd hit the jackpot or something. "Is she pretty?"

    "Very. I'm in a bit of a hurry, Mom," I added, knowing the clock was ticking and not wanting to be late.

    "Go on, kiddo. Have some fun for a change." She was humming to herself as she walked away.

    Thirty-five minutes later I was running out of the house as I scarfed down a piece of toast with some jelly for breakfast. I cursed the dirt road for the bad condition it was in, causing me to drive slower. 

    When I got to town, I rushed into the supermarket, over to the flower section. They didn't have a whole lot to choose from, but there was a slender vase with three decent looking roses in it. There wasn't time to hit up the florist, and I wasn't sure if they were even open today. But I'd told Nikki I would bring her flowers when I first asked her out, and I intended to keep my word. 

    I was very antsy as I waited for the checkout line to move, knowing I was cutting it severely close. Thankfully, I sort of knew where I was going from the address Nikki had sent, and it wasn't far.

    "Well, well. What have we here?"

    I turned around to find Brett and Brittney grinning in the line behind me. They each held a box of doughnuts.

    "I think someone has scored a date," Brittney said, winking. "Am I right?"

    "I don't kiss and tell." I smiled.

    "Ooh, and he's already talking about kissing. I think our little Rockstar thinks he's gonna get lucky today. What do you think, Bro?"

    "Did she finally say yes?" Brett asked.