Chapter 8: Bye Neighbour

Chapter Eight

Sunny banged a hand on the vending machine as his bag of lays chips was stuck to the glass, not falling down. It stole his money and he was upset. "Worst two dollars I have ever spent," He sighed and rolled his eyes at Lola who was laughing. "It's not funny!"

"Yes it is," she argued and looked around when she heard sneakers squeaking in the hallway. It sounded like someone was running. "I'm going to guess Devlin spit in Theon's drink."

"Ew," Sunny scrunched his nose.

They left the cafeteria and followed the sound of the sneakers. Mackie was the one running, being chased by Theon who held an annoyed look. "What the hell did he do?"

Lola shrugged but followed where they were running, "beats me. This happens often but Theon just torments him a little bit, not too much."

"This happens often?"

She nodded, "They're neighbors and Theon hates it. I wonder what aggravated him today."

As they reached a dead end, Theon was standing in front of Mackie, arms crossed over his chest. Lola and Sunny watched carefully. Theon then suddenly pointed to his face, "You gave me a nosebleed!"

"You started it!" Mackie defended, squishing himself against the wall. "It was self defense."

Theon scoffed, "I didn't do anything wrong, the ball was in my yard so I was just giving it back!"

"You knocked my niece over!"

Theon paused to think about what to say. "It just happened to hit her and she's not hurt. What's a little face of grass going to do?"

Mackie wished that he could punch him. "Give you a nosebleed."

"But that's not fair, I gave back the ball and you threw it back at me. And seriously, my face, you couldn't aim at the window or something?"

"Oh, I can break your window too," Mackie tried to storm away but Theon grabbed his arm with his big hands. He froze and let go when he saw Zephan and Leland, leaning against the wall, the opposite of Lola and Sunny.

Mackie walked to his friends but Theon kept it verbal, "Are you not scared of me anymore?"

Mackie shook his head, trying to convince himself that no, he was not scared of Theon Jagger but he was. He was terrified and the only reason why he snapped was because he loved his family and would not stand and watch anything happen to them. "I'm moving anyways."

Lola looked at him, "you are?"

Mackie nodded, "Yeah, with Elijah and Courtney."

"You should really leave him alone," Zephan said, scolding his cousin.

Theon waved him off, "Oh, you know why I do it."

Zephan rolled his eyes and Leland next to them wasn't paying attention. He looked at Sunny and offered him a smile when they made eye contact, their browns and blues colliding. Sunny smiled back and even offered a shy wave. "Not happening," Mackie took his arm and dragged his friends away from the Jagger's.

______________

Mackie was nervous. Partially because he couldn't get over the fact that he talked back to Theon without a huge fight, and partially because the weekend had arrived and so that meant he was going into the woods. He could hardly sleep the night before, his nerves ate him like bed bugs.

Lola brought a bag with snacks, drinks, and a blanket. She said that it was better to be prepared than regretful. "I'm excited!" Sunny hadn't stopped smiling since the three of them met up at Lola's house. "I hope we find something cool that we can brag about like a million-dollar ring someone left behind."

Lola didn't care about those kinds of things. "Are you sure about this? We can do something else."

Mackie nodded and Sunny went on about how it was too late to back down. She zipped up her bag and flung it over her shoulder. Her hair was in a ponytail, just for the woods.

Sunny was already out the door, encouraging his friends to move faster. "Hurry up, we're losing daylight!"

Mackie wanted to groan, "It's eleven in the morning."

As they walked, all of their nerves grew heavier (Sunny's was excitement). The trees didn't seem so far away when they made it to the tree line. The three of them looked at each other and then nodded, each stepping a foot over the forbidden invisible line.