Chapter 14: Werewolves

Chapter Fourteen

Leland's house was bigger on the outside. From the inside the cabin looked homely and comfortable. The front door led to the living room and Sunny sat on one of the brown couches. The fireplace was lit calmly and Sunny noticed many houseplants all around the room.

Leland sat down next to Sunny, "do you have any questions?"

Sunny had so many he didn't know where to start. Was the shifting process painful? Do they have control over themselves when they are a wolf? Do their senses heighten? Can they really smell things from far away?

Leland could tell he was a bit overwhelmed. Out of instinct, he reached for Sunny's hand and drew slow circles with his thumb. "I can do the talking?" Sunny nodded, staring at their linked hands. He didn't expect Leland to feel so warm.

Ruth and Cliff sat on the opposite brown couch and Theon and Zephan went upstairs. Zepha hid himself in a hoodie with his hood drawn over his head. The staircase was in front of the front door, and next to it led the hallway to the kitchen.

"That map I gave you had three different colors. Each color is a different pack. Ours is green, Pack Rose," Leland said. "As my mom said, she is the alpha of our pack. Meaning that she is in charge of everyone in our territory. She settles disputes and keeps everyone in line. Our pack is very tight-knit, fights usually come from the other packs."

"Why was one of them red?"

"Because they are rogues. There are two different types of rogues," He took a deep breath, looking at his parents and then back to Sunny. "First there are natural ones. They have no control over themselves and are usually very aggressive. Now the Riptide Pack, the one in red, they aren't natural rogues. They are a pack. Their alpha, Nathan, calls themselves rogues and so they act like them, but they still have control over themselves and still have to follow certain rules like all packs do. But they are dangerous."

"What about the blue one?"

"That's the Nether Pack. Kester is their alpha. We don't have an alliance with him but he wouldn't purposely start disputes. He's quiet and keeps to himself, but we get along," Leland said. "His heir went missing and so he stays away from the other packs."

"Heir?" Sunny didn't look away from Leland. He was interested in everything he said and the more he talked, the more everything made sense to him. He wanted to learn more.

"Every Pack needs an heir for when the alphas retire. Usually, the heir is their eldest child, like me, I am the heir to Pack Rose."

Sunny's eyes brightened, "that's so cool!"

"I won't be the alpha for years."

"I remember you saying, Alina. What pack are they?" Sunny asked.

"Alina is in charge of all of us. They set the rules for everyone. If someone breaks a minor rule, they go to their alpha but if they break a huge rule, they go to Alina," Leland explained. "No one has met the alpha of Alina. The elders usually handle the monthly pack meetings. Every full moon, we have a meeting and go over everything we need to talk about."

"So that's why I wouldn't get hurt if I found them?"

Leland nodded, "Yes. Us werewolves, we protect humans. We're like the guardians of the woods. The Riptide Pack thinks otherwise but that's what Alina is for, to keep packs from completely going rogue."

Sunny turned to Leland's parents, "Are you both the alpha?"

Ruth let out a small laugh, "No, I am the alpha and Cliff is my soulmate, making him our Luna."